Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb External Dvd/cd Drive

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 dbeck123

dbeck123

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:06 AM

I recently bought an external portable DVD/CD player which connects through a USB port. The player requires the computer to have a USB 2.0 drive to be compatible, which my computer has, but when I plug it in the icon doesn't come up in my My Computer folder. The computer seems to recognize that something is being plugged into the USB port since it gives me the option to disconnect it securely, but the icon doesn't come up which I guess means that there is a compatibility problem. There's no problem with my USB ports, since I've still been able to use them for my MP3 player etc. Has anyone had a similar problem before? Any ideas on how I can solve it? (for some it may seem like an easy fix, but unfortunately I'm not incredbily computer savy)... Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:01 AM

Hello dbeck123, Welcome

My first thought about the problem is a driver problem. Were you given a CD with the hardware?
Also, Are you using windows? if so, what version?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 dbeck123

dbeck123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:21 AM

Thanks Alan,

Yup, I was given a CD with the hardware, but according to the instructions you should be able to plug the hardward in through the USB port before you need to install the software. I tried downloading the driver from the maker's webpage but unfortunately they don't have the driver suitable for the hardware that I bought online.

I'm using Windows XP, though I haven't run a windows update in a long time.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:52 AM

Hi dbeck123, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

What make and model it the external drive?

Does the drive show up in My Computer, and if it does can you right click on the drive and open it?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dbeck123

dbeck123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:22 AM

The external hardware is made by a company named Buffalo. I may be wrong, but I think they only sell hardware here in Japan. The model number is DVSM-P58U2/B.

The drive doesn't come up in My Computer, so unfortunately I can't right click on the icon.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

I would have a look in device manager just to see if there are any conflicts or problems?

Right click My Computer-->click properties-->click the Hardware tab-->click Device Manager. Does the drive show up in DVD/CD-ROM Drives?
Regards,

Alan.

#7 dbeck123

dbeck123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

The only driver that appears is Matsubleepa UJDA750 DVD/CDRW, which I don't think is the driver I need for the external DVD/CD drive that I bought. Any recommendations on what I should do next? Thanks a lot!

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:24 AM

In the device manager, the drive should be displyed or an unknown device. double click on the entry then click the driver tab then click the update driver button. This will hopefully update the driver.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 dbeck123

dbeck123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:23 AM

Sorry, the name of the driver when I have the hardware plugged in is Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A. I tried to run the update as you suggested, but I kept getting a message saying that it's not able to update at this time. Any other ideas by chance?

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:07 AM

Can you access the CD that came with the drive? If you can you could try taking the drivers of the CD and forcing the update to use those files.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 dbeck123

dbeck123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

Unfortunately I can't access the info on the CD at the moment because my CD/DVD drive isn't working. (This is actually the reason why I bought the external CD/DVD drive)... The only other solution I can think of is asking a friend to download the CD's contents and then copying it on to a memory stick. Do you think there's any other way?

#12 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:43 PM

You could try downloading them of the manufacturers website for a copy of the driver, usually there should be a link in the user manual
Regards,

Alan.

#13 dbeck123

dbeck123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:55 AM

Unfortunately the manufacturer doesn't provide the driver on its website. I also asked a friend to copy the contents of the CD that came with the hardware onto his website, but even after downloading that the DVD drive doesn't work.

I deleted the driver that was installed when I plugged in the DVD drive and then tried to reinstall it again, but a message came up that said the setup was incomplete and that there was the possibility that there was something wrong with the hardware. Thinking that the DVD drive was a dud, I took it back to the store I bought it from. Unfortunately for me though, the DVD drive works fine because the guy at the store was able to hook it up to his computer. When I explained to him that my internal DVD/CD drive no longer works, he said that that might be the problem. His suggestion was to reboot the computer, although if I do that, I'll be in trouble because I won't be able to use the recovery CD when rebooting.

This is such a silly annoying problem, and it seems like it should be an easy fix. Does anyone have any other ideas? Incidently, I really appreciate all the thinking that Alan has done for me :thumbsup:

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:47 AM

I'd take a look in Disk Management, not Device Manager, and see if this drive is reflected there.

Drive with duplicate lettering (e.g., both drives are assigned D:) will not always reflect in Device Manager, but will reflect (if properly attached) in Disk Management.

Louis

#15 dbeck123

dbeck123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:44 PM

The screen in Disk Management seems to be about the same as in Device Manager, and even if I try to update the driver it still doesn't allow to me to do it...... Should I disable the driver for the internal CD/DVD drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users