Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Popup Says "infected With Spyware" & Dep Closes Notepad!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 aerlyn02

aerlyn02

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:56 PM

So I have new laptop and have been trying to configure it to work with my college's network and internet. Anyway, the laptop has Windows Vista and apparently Windows Defender is an integral part. For my college network you need to download their specific copy of McAfee and uninstall all other similar programs but I can't uninstall Windows Defender. So I have just turned windows defender off and unenabled realtime protection.

I keep getting this popup from Vista saying my computer is infected with spyware. I did see that there was 180 search assistant, seekmo and zango under my program files which I deleted and now they are no longer there, but I am not sure if they are really gone or not.

I downloaded the DSS.exe and current version of HijakThis and ran them. Unfortunately, Vista has this Data Execution Program (DEP) and so after the scan, Vista terminated Notepad because it is "helping protect against damage from viruses and other security threats." OMG! I tried editing the system settings for the DEP and apparently DEP cannot be turned OFF for Notepad.exe.

So I am at a loss as to what to do since I can't seem to post my DSS and HijackThis logs....any advice??

Edited by Orange Blossom, 06 April 2008 - 11:06 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users