Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Ps/2 Keyboard And Mouse Hesitation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jeb5000

jeb5000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

newbie unsure of site protocol...please forgive and straighten me out if necessary...am experiencing hesitation in using onboard keyboard and mouse of Presario 2100 but a USB keyboard works fine. Haven't got a USB mouse to test. Plugged an external PS/2 mouse into side jack and this also hesitates or skips or "is jumpy" when sweeping mouse across screen. Tried various settings to adjust Synaptics mouse pad, like unchecking Fast Initialization, but nothing seems to stop the hesitation except using the USB keyboard which fixes the keyboard hesitation. CPU is bouncing between 1% and 20% creating a vertically zigzag line in the performance tab of Task Manager; for a brief moment in all my messing around, this usage problem stopped and the keyboard and mouse hesitation stopped..but the problem came back next I looked at it. AVG first came back after full scan with shell32 and host listed under column "changed"...date and size were same as my other machine...switched to Anti-VIR but it found no problems; CCleaner didn't fix it either. CHKDSK found nothing. Problem exists in safe mode as well. I reseated the onboard keyboard cable which popped out when I opened up the laptop, bu the problem continues. I figure I have a bad PS/2 port or something else is polling or otherwise eating CPU and interfering with PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mice (whether Synaptic or external). Have HIJack this log generated, but I cannot distinguish what might be wrong. This machine had a hard drive failure and replacement but the user said she never used it after it came back from repair service, and does not remember there being a hesitation problem. Any takers? --Jeb5000

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

What process is taking up the CPU when it "bounces"?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

I reseated the onboard keyboard cable which popped out when I opened up the laptop, bu the problem continues.

They can be tricky to seat correctly. My big clumsey fingers always get in the way. You're engaging the little latch / clamp, correct?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 jeb5000

jeb5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:24 PM

I couldn't see any corresponding spike/decline in usage just by watching the memusage in TaskManager. Problem went away again upon reboot. I expect I'll see it again and be able to test further. ...Stinkin' ram is only 133MHz, too. --jeb5000

#5 jeb5000

jeb5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:52 PM

Ha! After lengthy searching, I Googled mouse JUMPY and stumbled onto TOMSHARDWARE.com or something like that and some very clever contributor said, in response to someone else with the same problem, REMOVE THE DEAD BATTERY...That fixed it just fine. I wonder why a dead battery would interfere with the onboard mouse pad and keyboard but not a USB keyboard. Something to do with polling and speed of response? -- the case, she is SOL-VED. Thanks for all considerations -- jeb5000

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users