Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diskeeper giving me problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 treeh0rn

treeh0rn

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:21 AM

Since reformatting my hard drive, I have been unable to get Diskeeper Lite to run once I restart my PC. I have tried removing remnants of it's previous installation but to no avail. (In case you're interested, this is the error message I get when I try to open it:
"Unable to connect to the Diskeeper service in the selected machine. Connecting to the local Diskeeper service.")

No one appears to know how to resolve this problem, so I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to have to use another defrag program. Does anyone have a suggestions for a free defrag program I can use please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,717 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:51 AM

I believe the diskkeeper programs runs as a windows service. Have you checked to make sure this service is running and not disabled?

#3 Seth

Seth

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2005 - 08:04 AM

System Mechanic 5 is a all rounder, defrags, cleans reg and deletes junk files. its a 30 day trial but worth to make the most of the 30 days unless you decide to buy it.

System Mechanic 5.0
Posted Image
We come into this world in birth, and we die and rot into the earth.

#4 treeh0rn

treeh0rn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:39 PM

Grinler, I'm sure that Diskeeper was allowed to run as a Windows process, because I didn't do anything to dis-allow it. Previous experience has shown me that I have to specifically disable a service in order for it to cause me problems. Thanks anyway.

Seth, I'll give that a try. Actually, I've heard of System mechanic before.
Keep those ideas coming in!! I'm always happy to receive new suggestions
:thumbsup:

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:25 PM

Just out of curiousity, y don't u use the built-in defragger that comes with windows?

#6 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:17 AM

Seth!Well I have sys mech;haven't sussed it yet obviously,cause I didn't realise it
would Defrag.I used a Defragger that operated outside of Windows(DOS?) &
took a fraction of the time,but my PC TECH arbitrarily removed(uninstalled)it.
I'm using FAST Defrag which Defrags RAM & the HD-preparing the way for
Windows defrag &speeding it up immensely(it's got little to do)! Wish I could remember where the other came from(Easy Desk?);is where most of my stuff
originates.Trehorn's a funny nick! There are a few goodies(Defraggers out there)
Seek & Ye Shall Find (try PC World/downloads for a start) but really the Windows
utility does a good job if you deactivate everything else(incl.screensaver)FIRST.!!
And IF you are PATIENT-it picks up where it left off -if it's having trouble try
SCANDISK first with the same preliminaries.Scandisk repairs bad sectors-if
run consecutively(again&again?)it can resurrect a hard drive.Mine was
really noisy with heaps of bad patches-not now! Haere Ra (Fare thee well)

#7 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:49 AM

BTW Tree;if you format the drive(reformat??) that's it/scrubbed clean as a whistle!
Unless you reinstall the same O/S (clean install) there will be inherent differences.
Did you?Or did you downgrade?Which O/S did you/have;got now??XP?& just out of
perverse KIWI curiosity ,why did you? My first response to problems is to do just
that,but I reinstall the same O/E -usually-&it is a cure-all ,if there is such.Perhaps
theres a simple answer,just pondering.Why would you lose anything ,& if it's
the same system;why FORMAT?? Curiouser x2!

#8 Deodar

Deodar

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 05:33 AM

:thumbsup: Thanks 2U Tree,i've gone out and rediscovered Power Defrag&downloaded
it(only 1.79mg)@www.powerdefrag.com !! Only shareware (30day trial) but if you
like it only $30!Also LOTS of other stuff out there by putting "Defrag"!into Google-
including Diskeeper-so there you go,don't mess around searching for it-download
again&if it's still in your system overwrite duplicate files ;Also a Hack(Crack) for
shareware&another for Microsoft ;which wasn't really a crack was it Bill& Your
secrets safe with me,LOVE your software,never knock it,don't condone piracy;
and some of my best friends were nearly Tsunami victims,surfing in Bali @
the time & they reckon the surf was awesome;So it's an Ill Wind &all that......
THANKS&Kia Ora to Microsoft New Zealand for the free software,courier delivery,
codes & easter eggs!!!Haere Ra!

#9 treeh0rn

treeh0rn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:19 AM

yanowhiz, I've used Diskeeper before and it found so many fragged files that the default Windows XP defrag didn't even pick up on, or wouldn't defrag. When I first discovered Diskeeper Lite, I compared the two programs to make sure it was worth using, and found that it consistently defragged better than the XP one. Hope that sorts that one out :thumbsup:

(Deodar, maybe you should lay off the caffeine my friend.... looks like you're typing hands are connected directly to your cortex
:flowers:

Anyway, I've looked at PCWorld.com and Download.com but thought I'd ask the Pitsters for their collective views/experience.
Secondly, reformatting the HD is a bit drastic don't you think? I recently reformatted btw.
Thirdly, I'll check out Powerfrag as well. I did try to reinstall and overwrite duplicate files, with DKlite, but the problem still remains.

Out of curiousity.....
(Treehorn is based on my favourite childhood book, called The Shrinking of Treehorn, about this kid who is shrinking, but his parents are too busy to notice. ...

http://www.fiona.co.jp/BOOK_EASY_READING/s...goftreehorn.htm

Edited by treeh0rn, 30 March 2005 - 07:20 AM.

#10 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:06 AM

Power defrag only use's the inbuilt defragger, so your not really getting anything.

Check out dirms which is a freeware defragger, if you look on the dirms forums there's a GUI for it.

There's also Power defragmenter which uses the sysinternal contig engine to defrag, very quick but will eventually need the internal or dirms defragger to be run to tidy things up a bit.

#11 treeh0rn

treeh0rn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2005 - 06:02 AM

So I take it that Power Defragger is not as thorough as Dirms? How long have you used Dirms? It seems a bit amateurish to me. I might be judging a book by it's website (so to speak) but it appears that way, and only a hundred or so posts in the forum.
It looks a bit complicated to run. Is that so? I just want a click and forget thing if possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users