Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable Access Internet Post Reinstalling Windows Xp P Crash

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 laxnski

laxnski

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:06 PM

Hello. I had a norton goback error 141 and after many attempts to rid my pc of it..got frustrated and just went for option of reinstalling windows xp and losing my data. Reinstalled windows xp operating system and drivers. Now I have no internet access. when I go into internet options it shows my ip address and that connection is enabled. Packages are being sent, but not recieved. I have talked with comcast and they say everything looks functional from their end. Could there be a problem with the hardware. I was given # to microsoft, but of course that want to charge. I only paid $70 for this harddrive. I have read many threads about norton goback causing all kinds of problems. but I'm assuming it was erased when I reinstalled windows?. I don't know what I doing. Any ideas? Would appreciate so much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:09 PM

First thing I would suggest...remove Go Back from your system. It's not needed with XP, there's a built-in function called System Restore which may interfere/conflict with Go Back (or vice versa).

Second...you say that you reinstalled XP and drivers. How? Do you have an XP CD and a drivers CD? Do you have a recovery partition or recovery CD?

Manufacturer of system and model?

Is Internet access the only function that you are aware of not working properly?

Go Start/Run, type in devmgmt.msc and see if there are any markings (yellow/red) indicating that something is amiss with hardware.

Was the Go Back error the only reason for the reinstall of XP?

Louis

#3 laxnski

laxnski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:23 PM

Hi Louis
Thank you for your response. I tried to remove goback w a bootable disk with the gb_prog.exe as instructed. It would not remove. Since my pc was running on a hard drive $78 which I bought after my pc originally crashed last year and I didn't have much on it in the way of files I absolutely needed, I took the option of just reinstalling windows. From the literature I was reading, I understood this would write over anything and I would lose all data, but that Norton go back would also be removed and I could start over?

I have the operating CD and drivers that came with my Gateway PC purchased 2003 and that it what I used to reinstall. My current HD is a Gateway GC - Caviar 80GB Special edit.

Should I try booting with that Gb_prog.exe again to make sure the go back is gone?
I not sure about other functions. Right now there is mimimal software on my pc..Acrobat reader about it.

I hope this infomormation is clear. I am not very computer savvy.
THanks

I ran the devmgmt.msc and there was no alert re:anything wrong

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,860 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

Feedback appreciated :thumbsup:.

I've never had a system made by Gateway, Dell, etc. and I've never had restore/recovery CDs or partitions...so I'm not sure how they work. I've assumed that they reinstall everything that was originally on the system when purchased (O/S, programs).

So I don't know if your reinstall actually did reinstall Go Back. But you can look on the list of programs installed (see Add/Remove Programs) and uninstall anything that you see listed that you don't want running.

Does your Internet connection work properly today, for Internet access and email?

If not, what is the exact error message reflected when you try to connect?

The fact that nothing seems amiss in Device Manager...is a good thing :flowers:.

Do you have wireless Internet?

If you can, click Start/Control Panel/Network & Internet Connections/Network Connections...and tell me what data is reflected there.

Thanks.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users