Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender Finds Adware:win32/generic.a

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ken1970

ken1970

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

I'm currently using the free versions of Spyware Blaster, Spyware Terminator and SpywareDoctor but Windows Defender is the only antispyware programme that can find and detect this: "Adware:Win32/Generic.A" which it describes as a trojan, yet it cannot remove it. Is there anyone who can help, I'm really new to this and it really is bugging me. My only guess is that it came from windows internet explorer 7 which I hardly ever use now because Mozilla Firefox seems to be a lot more reliable and trustworthy. Below I have also used Hijack this to get a log of what might be happening if this helps.

Any thoughts from you bright young things will be much appreciated by this newbie ;0)

Edited by quietman7, 24 April 2008 - 12:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dougie83

dougie83

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:47 AM

Just to let you know that I have the same problem. I am also unable to remove the item.

What I do know is that it is flagged up by Windows Defender when I manually start-up Spyware Terminator. So it appears to be within that programme.

I am still investigating so if I get further info I will post back with my results.

Incidently, I loaded Spyware Terminator on the recommendation of a reputable computer mag.

#3 aldyoutlaw

aldyoutlaw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:13 PM

Hi all. I am a newbie to the forum. Found this site while searching for a remedy to the Adware problem listed above. Any input on how to rid my computer of this nuisance would be appreciated. Please keep in mind, that although I can get around fairly well in Windows, I am not exactly computer savvy. Easy to follow instructions would be highly pleasing. Thank you. A Ldy Outlaw

#4 ken1970

ken1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 02:13 PM

dougie83

Windows Defender also does this when I manually start-up Spyware Terminator. So are you saying that Spyware Terminator has a virus attached to it's software?

I found this site which also recommended it :

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm#3

Thanks for your response, I will keep an eye out for more of your posts here which will hopefully resolve this issue ;0)

#5 Delayed

Delayed

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

I have got this same error and apparently it is Spyware Terminator itself causing it. Supposedly it is a false positive by Windows Defender. The only way to remove it right now is to uninstall Spyware Terminator or Windows defender. I was looking for more information on this and thought I would leave what I know about it.

#6 CaspaB

CaspaB

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:50 AM

Thanks "Delayed". I will tell Windows Defender to ignore it, and see what happens. Stay tuned.

#7 doctord453

doctord453

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:04 AM

You people go! The more you reply to each other, the more I have to read. Keep up the good work. Ha.

#8 doctord453

doctord453

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:05 AM

I have Spyware Terminator and Windows Defender so this is useful info to me. Thanks.

#9 dougie83

dougie83

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:35 AM

Thanks to all contributors.

Just to let everyone know that I have just emailed the Spyware Terminator Support team for their advice.

I will post back when they respond with their comments.

#10 aldyoutlaw

aldyoutlaw

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 01:11 PM

:woot:
Fixed this dang problem by un-installing Spyware Terminator :thumbsup: and installing SpyBot (latest verison) :inlove: and re-ran Windows Defender... it did not find the problem this time. :flowers: :trumpet: So I am sticking with SpyBot for now. :)

#11 maxmojo

maxmojo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

Thanks for confirming the FP. I thought I was losing it. I should have just posted here-Max

#12 dougie83

dougie83

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 06:50 AM

As previous posters have alluded to, the problem may be a false positive.

This is the reply I have received from Spyware Terminator support team:

"Thank you for contacting Spyware Terminator Support Team,

SUPPORT ANSWER(4/10/2008 1:07:15 pm):
It may be a false positive from window defender. We have forwarded this issue to our concerned department. They will analyze and solve the problem very soon."

Hopefully this has put some minds to rest. I will follow the example of others and use Spy Bot and come back to Spyware Terminator later on to see if they have resolved the problem.

#13 ken1970

ken1970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2008 - 11:45 PM

for all those interested spyware terminator have issued an update which fixes the problem.

thanks to all for your support ;0)

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:41 PM

ken1970, I edited your first post and removed the hijackthislog as they are not allowed in this forum. We must have overlooked this thread otherwise it would have been removed sooner.

You and the members who contributed here did a good job with following up this issue. I have both Spyware Terminator and Defender installed by disabled Defender a few months ago. If not, I too probably would have encountered the same problem.

I also note that you and the other contributers are new members, so welcome to BC all.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users