Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisy Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cookie050505

cookie050505

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:25 PM

Hi

Is anybody able to advise me on what may be causeing my computer to sound loud? At first when I start it up its as quite as a mouse but after a few minutes of use it gets louder even though its just ticking over & when the pc is actually doing something & using the cpu (ie virus scan,playing a game,listening to music,surfing the net etc) it sounds as if its going to blow up. It can even be heard in the next room. Its very annoying. My gut feeling is that its a fan of some kind, do they get clogged up? can you get to them to clean them easily or could it be faulty or maybe its working to hard caused by another problem

Cheers

cookie050505.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

Hi...first thing I would do is...remove the cover and see if I can determine the direction/source of the sound.

Once you determine direction, then you should be able to determine the components in that area which are most likely candidates.

Typical items causing noise in my systems: untightened screws, hard drives with loose connectors, fans of every sort. Typically, the power supply fan will create the most noise of any individual component.

While you have the cover off, I suggest using canned air to blow out dust/dirt, particularly from the CPU fan and the power supply.

I would tend to suspect a fan, based on what I've read so far.

Ticking can be caused if wiring (or anything else) makes contact with a turning fan blade, among other causes.

Louis

#3 cookie050505

cookie050505
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hi

many thanks for your quick reply

Its a kind of whirring sound , sounds how you would expect a pc to sound I think its just amplified especially when pc is doing something. pc is running normally no virus's etc which would cause my pc to churn away so pretty sure its a fan of some kind. I just wanted to run it past somebody in the know.

many thanks once again

cheers

cookie050505 :thumbsup:

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

Does this computer have an AMD Athlon processor? It could be the cool and Quiet feature which slows down the processor and subsequently the fans when the computer is not under heavy load and speeds them up under load. Is this something new or just a concern?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:14 AM

It does sound like the fan speeding up. If this cranking up of the fan is new you may want to do a little house cleaning. Take a can of air and blow out the heat sink and fan on the CPU, and check the air intake locations to make sure that they are free of obstruction.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:41 AM

Hi

Is anybody able to advise me on what may be causeing my computer to sound loud? At first when I start it up its as quite as a mouse but after a few minutes of use it gets louder even though its just ticking over & when the pc is actually doing something & using the cpu (ie virus scan,playing a game,listening to music,surfing the net etc) it sounds as if its going to blow up. It can even be heard in the next room. Its very annoying. My gut feeling is that its a fan of some kind, do they get clogged up? can you get to them to clean them easily or could it be faulty or maybe its working to hard caused by another problem

Cheers

cookie050505.

Well if it boots up nice and quiet then I don't think it could be the fan, But if you are luckey it is. If your computer is idol, does it still making the "ticking" sound?

Sounds like it may be a hard drive issue (not good!) :thumbsup:

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 09 April 2008 - 08:43 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:23 AM

I could be wrong here, but what has been described does sound like that CPU fan cranking up. When the computer first fires up the fan would be running slowly as the CPU is still running cool, but as the CPU heats up the speed of the fan will increase to compensate for the increased temperature. This would explain why the computer is quiet at first.

You need to open the case as has been suggested and see if you can isolate the noise to be certain.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 02:01 PM

hi,,, just to add a point,,, after a good clean of your heat sink fan and all other fans as surgested,,,, if the noise is still there it could be the HDD as alpha sed,,,, when i first got my vista pc i noticed a lot off disc thrashing which made a right noise,,, when i started to shut down services i do not need in the services menu i noticed the thrashing was'nt that bad,,, so i googled it about the thrashing,,,, apparently there are alot more things installed in vista that report back to microsoft than there was in xp,,,, and i mean a lot,,, i read that xp has about 8 things where as vista has something like 35,,, windows defender being the worst offender,,,, so i shut that down too as its total crap anyway.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=

take a look and see what you think,,,,,,,,
or then again your harddrive could be about to fail,,,,,,,,, good luck
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users