Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Logoff Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lynx560

Lynx560

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:58 AM

Im having a strange problem when logging off from one of my Users on my WinXP SP2 (Home). This problem only happens on one of my three Users.
While logging off, I get a "Ending Task" window just before the desktop disappesrs, then it goes right to the User Login display. This obviously means I have a task (program) running that is not being properly shut down while logging off.
I did a little research & decided to try the program "WhatsRunning" (h**p://software.techrepublic.com.com/download.aspx?docid=229408) to see what may be running that I cant see. It allows a comparison between different "snapshots". I created a snapshot with an uneffected User & then took one of the User Im having the problem with. After comparing the two, I noticed two processes (actually 2 instances of the same process) running on the affected User that were not running on a unaffected User. The process (two instances) is/are "wmiprvse.exe".
There are many other differences between the two snapshots but the mainly deal with Modules & IP ports. I can try to post the comparison if needed.
Thank you for your time
Lynx560

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

Try this excellent troubleshooter: http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Lynx560

Lynx560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:38 PM

Thank you for your reply usasma.
After reading through the link you provided, I copuld not find anything related to the problem Im having. The OS does not hang or stall during logoff or shut down, it just shows an "Ending Task" window which disappears very quickly. So quickly that I can not read anything on it.
What I really need is for a way to find out which program is causing this & what I can do to properly close it before logging off.
Any ideas ???

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 10:25 PM

You could have a look at the running processes in the Task Manager to see if you can identify the culprit.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:04 AM

I expect that you're correct in your assumption that you'll need something to monitor the processes during shutdown. So, here's two free monitoring programs that may help:

Process Explorer: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx
Process Monitor: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896645.aspx

I suspect that you'll end up wanting to use the logging feature of Process Monitor - if so, please be advised that the log is huge, and if left running will take up all the free space on your hard drive (happened to me last week).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Lynx560

Lynx560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:38 AM

Thank you both for your replies !

I finally got a look at what program was causing the Ending Program window to appear at logoff. I stared very intently at the area where I knew the window would appear & finally saw that the process was/is named "zlclient.exe". It is a Zone Alarm process (h**p://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/zlclient.exe-7068.html).
Im still not sure why the process shuts down when I logoff only on one user & not the other two... at least why it shows the program ending window on only one user...
I think Im going to try the ZA Forum.

If any one has any ideas why this may be happening, please let me know.
TYVM

#7 Lynx560

Lynx560
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:23 AM

I have been to ZA Forums & this seems to be an ongoing problem; although I didnt see any threads about this happening to only one user. I am waiting for a reply to my thread there.

Please consider this thread closed (but not yet solved) for this forum.

Thank you all for you help.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:13 AM

Due to similar problems over the years, I've stopped using Zone Alarm. For XP I prefer the last freeware version of the Sygate Personal Firewall ( about 1/2 way down this page: http://www.321download.com/LastFreeware/page26.html ) Others like the Kerio and Comodo free firewalls but I have not experience with them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users