Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Superantipyware And 'bootsafe' Option ; Unsafe?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

may we all have some general clarification from those who are familiar with the boot safe aspect of this program on a point that seems to have raised its head above the waters

I have noticed on the web and in entries on here a mention of superantispyware, presumably, the FREE version

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

and a 'bootsafe' method that can , if chosen, render a computer completely unbootable

I have the free version installed on my computer and so far have NOT located this 'item' to ensure I do keep well clear OF it

a google search

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q...earch&meta=
amongst other entries find this
http://www.superantispyware.com/WebHelp/Ho..._Safe_Mode_.htm

I also noted
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet...lickspring.aspx

Thank you. That was extremely helpful! I managed to get rid of it. Very
impressive product. I will seriously consider buying the 'not-free' version.

But Alas:
My problem now is that the SUPERAntiSpyware BootSafe changes that I made
seem to cause my box to ALWAYS want to boot in safe mode unless I intervene
I get around this by running MSCONFIG from safe mode and turning safe boot
off in the boot.ini tab and rebooting.

where and what IS this 'bootsafe' part of superantispyware, or has it been withdrawn due to the risks OF rendering a computer completely unbootable and unuseable ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

where and what IS this 'bootsafe' part of superantispyware, or has it been withdrawn due to the risks OF rendering a computer completely unbootable and unuseable ???

If one may answer the where part of the question... I have Version 4 and found it via the Start -> All Programs (or whichever way..) -> Place arrow on SUPER Antispyware -> expands to reveal BootSafe as first choice on the list...

Edited by Juha, 06 April 2008 - 08:46 PM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:41 AM

SUPERAntiSpyware provides an application called "BootSafe" by SuperAdBlocker that enables you to reboot in Safe Mode or back to Normal mode. BootSafe works similar to the MSConfig SAFE BOOT option in that the Safeboot option modifies the Boot.ini file. After you select the Safe Mode option and scan your computer, you must run BootSafe again and select the option to boot into Normal mode or your computer will continue to boot into Safe Mode. That means you have to go to C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware and choose the BootSafe program from there.

Keep in mind that using MSConfig to access (force) safe mode when there is malware on your system could have disastrous results and render your computer unbootable. Some types of malware can delete or alter the safeboot key in the registry resulting in the inability to reboot fully into safe mode or back to normal mode. The Safeboot option modifies the Boot.ini file and you may be locked in a continuous reboot loop afterwards where you cannot get back to MSConfig and undo your selection. The same thing can occur with BootSafe as you may not be able to get back to Normal mode and undo your selection. See "Booting into Safe Mode safely".
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:50 PM

This feature sounds pretty dangerous then. Isn't rebooting and tapping F8 sufficient? I understand the one in MSCONFIG is Microsoft's decision... but how about BootSafe. Shouldn't Super Antispyware consider removing this option since it can cause getting locked in this 'continuous reboot loop'? Or the benefits of this feature outweighs potential problems it might cause?

Also, for future reference how would one resolve this problem of 'continuous reboot loop'? Last Good Configuration or what?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,603 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:57 PM

I have read that the next version of BootSafe to be included in SUPERAntispyware will automatically undo the safe mode option once you boot to safe mode so that when you reboot again, you are back to normal mode.

Also, for future reference how would one resolve this problem of 'continuous reboot loop'

...If a situation like this has happened to you it is possible to fix this problem by renaming your boot.ini file. The first step would be to use a boot disk to start your computer...

Problems that can occur by forcing Safe Mode (scroll down)

#6 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Q7. Hope it will help future readers of this thread who might be having such problems.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,603 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:33 PM

Your welcome. :thumbsup:

I believe we discussed this once before but it doesn't hurt to revisit so others can learn.

#8 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 02:30 PM

I have now located the 'boot safe' part of this program via start/programs /superantispywware

I think it worth mentioning that, if you start super antispyware via the desktop shortcut ( as is my habit) you do NOT (I have not yet been )get presented WITH the 'boot safe' option and nor can I as yet locate it within the program itself once super antispyware is running

I would venture to suggest that, if ones computer will NOT boot up into safe mode via normal methods, it is somewhat foolhardy to use the 'boot safe' method to actually FORCE the computer to go where it really does not want TO go ; especially if it IS fighting malaware

knowing now where this 'program ' exists has been enlightening ;

also , to hopefully AVOID the 'boot safe 'program' from being even accidentally run ?

maybe not a bad point to bear in mind that super antispyware really needs to be run from the shortcut desktop icon and NOT from the start menu?

this would hopefully avoid the boot safe aspect of this program from showing itself and getting run even accidentally?

I am so pleased to those who have contributed to this discussion and for the information this thread now contains that may hopefully warn folks OFF and away FROM the boot safe part of this program that could ultimately , if run, render one's computer completely unbootable and useless

if you need TO go into your computer's safe mode do so via the F8 ( or F5 ) key

if your computer does not like safe mode , then ask yourself why and look for infections and NOT a program to shove it into safe mode , probably for ever.............

???fair comment????

#9 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:16 PM

I think it worth mentioning that, if you start super antispyware via the desktop shortcut ( as is my habit) you do NOT (I have not yet been )get presented WITH the 'boot safe' option and nor can I as yet locate it within the program itself once super antispyware is running

I also run it from the desktop shortcut. And I think we can safely conclude that this option is not present within the Super antispyware program. Anyhow, as Q7 read, the next version of BootSafe to be included in SUPERAntispyware will automatically undo the safe mode option once you boot to safe mode so that when you reboot again, you are back to normal mode. Therefore, we might say it will be safer this time as there is no risk of getting locked in that 'continuous reboot loop'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users