Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fonts Are Displayed Wrong Way And Treated Differently

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AbuRaouf

AbuRaouf

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 03:50 AM

Hi all,
I'm running Win XP Pro SP2. After I recently had some trouble with malware etc and sorting out the issues around that ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138672/still-something-wrong/ and http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/138329/no-more-access-after-running-combofix/ :thumbsup: ), now I have one issue remaining (I hope it is only one):
  • ASCII characters >127 are displayed the wrong way (some squares or asian signs instead of usual 'umlaute' in OutlookExpress), if I cut and paste something into Notepad or Excel everything is fine.
  • some system windows are not using their usual fonts, apparently something is changed, just I can't figure what
  • some characters are using wrong sizes, like Nero displays the playing time in a font size that makes it hard to read anything.
  • my explorer cannot access (actually it can access but does not execute double-clicks on anything inside) directories containing ascii >127 anymore, my laptop has no problem with that
These issues bother me since I got back access to my system in first place (see above). I have no clue what happened and resulted in this, but it is not really nice and giving me a headache as I'm working on both systems usually. Previously this never was any issue.

Appreciate any help I can get to sort this out.

Thanks, AbuRaouf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:28 PM

Could you post a screen-shot to give us a better idea of your problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

I recall a similar problem not too long ago - I believe in the Am I Infected forums. It was a remnant of a virus removal - and it left some language settings messed up. Can't recall exactly where, but there's several topics in this search I did: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...ite=%2Blanguage
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:59 AM

Usasma, I tried your link and it produces the following message:

Board Message
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.

The error returned was:
Sorry, but we did not find any matches to display. Try again and broaden your search criteria. If you were searching for new posts since your last visit, it's possible that there are none to show.

#5 Samsbc12

Samsbc12

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 09:20 AM

If you have access to another computer, you might want to reinstall the fonts.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:21 AM

Try searching for the word "language" (without the quotes) in All Forums.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 AbuRaouf

AbuRaouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:24 PM

Hi,
sorry I couldn't reply earlier, my UPS was not repaired until today.

@BUDAPEST:
Please see attached screenshot for an example. As I said before, previously this never was a problem.

@all:
I think the fonts are there, if I copy text displayed 'wrongly' and paste it to Excel or Notepad, everything is fine.

@usama:
I did numerous searches on the forums, couldn't find anything that helps me.

Any idea how I can get this fixed? I don't have a Win CD.

Attached Files

#8 AbuRaouf

AbuRaouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 06:39 AM

So does this silence mean nobody knows anything about this? :flowers:
I didn't tackle this for almost a month, but this has to be solved somehow. :trumpet:
I don't even want to think about an installation from scratch, I just refuse getting my mind occupied with this idea.... :thumbsup: Someone must know something about this, where is the search to find that someone...

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:24 AM

I've been absent for a while, so I didn't see your next-to-last post.

I would suggest checking Control Panel...Regional and Language Options.
Check all the options, and check all the drop-down boxes to ensure the correct selections are made - a virus may have changed some of the settings (for example, I've got 12 different types of English listed in mine)

After that, I'd have to suggest figuring out exactly which Font/fonts that this occurs in - and then try replacing them with a copy from another system.

#10 AbuRaouf

AbuRaouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 01:42 AM

I'll do that checking first.

How would I find out, which font Outlook Express is using inside to display sender, subject etc.?
Or the Nero player to display the time?

That's gonna get ugly... but I hope I will get rid of it by your 1st advise. :thumbsup:

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2008 - 05:45 AM

I have no clue about fonts, never having messed with them myself. I'd have to suggest either waiting for someone else to chime in, or searching with google for Font repair/replacement issues. Good luck!

#12 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 05 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

Download TweakUI from here >> TweakUi @ Snap Files & follow the steps here >> Fix Failing Font Installations to see if that fixes them. As A safety net I would recommend creating a System Restore Point first.

#13 AbuRaouf

AbuRaouf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:50 AM

@usasma, you got it all right !

I went into the "Regional and Language Options", and on the "Advanced"-Register it was set to use Thai to "match the language version of the non-unicode programs", whatever that is supposed to mean.
I changed it to English (US) and there we go, everything is back to normal.

Still I won't have a clue what caused this switch and I also wouldn't have a clue why Outlook Express or Nero are classified as non-Unicode software, but at least I'm back in business...

Thanks guys for your help and voluntary effort here !!!!!! :thumbsup:

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:55 AM

I'm glad to hear that it fixed things for you also. Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users