Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Caused Blue Screen Of Death?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RapboY

RapboY

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:39 PM

hi i just experienced the blue screen of death showing up, it told me to restart, so i did.. and now my computer seems to be working alright.. there's no real problem here.. i just want to know what could have caused this? and is there anything i could do to prevent this from happening again in the future? thanks for any help! :D

i'm not sure where i can see the configurations of my laptop, so if you need them, can you please tell me where to look also? thanks again!

EDIT: oh, im running vista that's why i posted here.. cuz i was not really sure where to post..

Edited by RapboY, 05 April 2008 - 11:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:03 AM

Go to Start and type in "performance monitor" (without the quotes) and press Enter
In the left hand pane click on Reliability Monitor and view the errors in the right hand pane.
Look for the error that occurred on the date that the Blue Screen happened, then click on that date.
Scroll down the list until you find the error, it'll have a bunch of numbers in the right hand column.
Copy the numbers and paste them into your next post.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 RapboY

RapboY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:05 AM

thanks for the reply..

i followed your instructions, but i wasnt able to locate the date when the blue screen happened (april 6) .. it says in the reliability monitor that the last time it was updated was 4/5/2008.. so there, i cant copy paste the numbers.. :huh:

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:09 PM

Not a problem, that's the easiest way to find it, but you can also look in the Event Viewer for the information. Go to Start and type "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Then expand the Windows logs category and look at the System logfile around the time that it happened. There should be an error listed there with some numbers from the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death). Here's a link that describes the BSOD: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry409491
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 RapboY

RapboY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:20 AM

i cant see a BSOD error.. the error i see at around the time it happened is an EventLog, which says that the computer had an unexpected shutdown..

well anyway ive been thinking what could have caused it, and i think it was an explorer software for the ipod touch.. i think it was the last application i ran before the BSOD showed up.. and it was also the first time i used it, so yeah i think that was the cause.. it's possible right? cuz it says in the link yo gave me that the BSOD can be caused by a poorly written code..

#6 DVtriple6

DVtriple6

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Location:Inside my computer trying to figure out what things are
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:12 AM

Just a quickie.. Your computer isn't overclocked is it? do you have two or more RAM sticks? Some motherboards are picky when it comes to RAM and my PC will BSOD every blue moon with Vista. Anyway yeah it is possible that your iPod software could be the culprit. Maybe you should try reinstalling it's drivers.

BSODs are often related to driver issues and not hardware failure, even though it's common to BsOD due to a picky mobo and different kinds of RAM.
Best of luck.
Posted Image

#7 DVtriple6

DVtriple6

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Location:Inside my computer trying to figure out what things are
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 11:20 AM

Just a quickie.. Your computer isn't overclocked is it? do you have two or more RAM sticks? Some motherboards are picky when it comes to RAM and my PC will BSOD every blue moon with Vista. Anyway yeah it is possible that your iPod software could be the culprit. Maybe you should try reinstalling it's drivers.

BSODs are often related to driver issues and not hardware failure, even though it's common to BsOD due to a picky mobo and different kinds of RAM.
Best of luck.
Posted Image

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

There's still other ways to find the info, but since it was associated with the iPod software, I'd suggest uninstalling it.
Check on the iPood site for updated versions of the software and particularly look for programs that are labeled as Vista Compatible.

#9 RapboY

RapboY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:51 AM

Best of luck.

nope, only got 1 RAM stick.. thansk anyway for trying to help :D

There's still other ways to find the info, but since it was associated with the iPod software, I'd suggest uninstalling it.
Check on the iPood site for updated versions of the software and particularly look for programs that are labeled as Vista Compatible.

thanks! i did uninstall it right away after i restarted from teh BSOD.. i guess my problem is solved for now.. thank you very much! :D

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:06 AM

If it (the BSOD) recurs, post back with the information and we can work on diagnosing it further. Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users