Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista User Account Crash

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Elena312

Elena312

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:59 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm having some major issues with my HP Pavilion laptop. I'm running Vista Premium (not SP1), and when I tried to boot up earlier today, it got all the way to the welcome screen with no problems, but then it suddenly said "Preparing Desktop" as if it were the first time I ever booted it. When the desktop did load, all my settings were gone or reset (no wallpaper, menus back their defaults, desktop icons back to the defaults, etc).

All my files and programs are still there, but I if i try to access those, I get an error message saying something like "windows cannot access the specified file or path because you do not have appropriate permission." However, I have an administrator account, and that's the ONLY account on the computer.

The only things I've installed or updated lately were Avast antivirus with a new program update, and some microsoft updates which were just two old security updates for Media Player. Everything still worked fine after those as far as I could see, even after several reboots.

If anyone knows what might have caused this or any way to fix it, I'd really appreciate it.

I should also note that this is not the first major crash I've had with this laptop since I bought it a year ago. Last June, the entire thing crashed to the point where it would not even boot. HP claimed it was a hard drive failure and they sent me a new one on warranty. Everything worked fine after that until now. I really have about had it with this laptop and Vista. :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:31 AM

It appears that something corrupted your user profile to the extent that it couldn't load - and Windows created another one for you to use. Since it's a different profile, Windows didn't give you permission to access your old profile - but you can do that manually using these directions: http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1257 (BTW - you can do this with files AND folders).

Another thing to try would be to go to Start and select the LogOff option on the far, lower right of the Start Menu (the > thingie will open it). Then try to logon to your account. If you can logon to your account, I'd suspect that something has corrupted the logon process and would suggest running some online scans to see if you're infected.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users