Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Windows Cd

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cmarti6

cmarti6

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:23 PM

I'm having some major problems on my computer. I think they all are stemming from a virus I had (I have another post in the "I think I'm infected" section titled "Help! Lots of problems with my Computer" if you'd like to look and see whats going on).

After trying a bunch of different things, I can't seem to fix the problems and I'd like to completly start from scratch and reinstall Windows on my computer. I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition but I don't have the installation CD. Can I use my father's Windows XP Professional CD with my XP Media Center product key?

Thanks a lot!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

You can't use a Windows XP Media Center CD-Key with a Windows Pro CD. If your father has used that XP Pro CD to install windows then your gonna run into more problems trying to install from that CD. Your best bet would be to just buy an XP CD (better hurry, they're gonna go out of production in June) or a Vista install CD (if your computer can handle it)

Best of luck!
lhamil64

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:02 PM

Or try contacting MS or your system manufacturer. Sometimes they'll mail you a disc for only the cost of shipping.

(Or switch to Linux!! :thumbsup:)

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 05 April 2008 - 08:02 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:25 PM

You can usually contact the computer mfg. and give them some information, service tag number and such, and they will send a replacement installation (recovery) CD. I got one from Dell at no charge
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:15 AM

Just to add to this, HP will sell you a set for $15 - $20 and you'll get them in 4 or 5 days.
I've heard from a couple of customers that Sony will send them for free (but one said that they charged him).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

Did you try getting a restore disk or why don't you buy another XP CD. I have a product key. I'm going to look for it :thumbsup: Try following the advise above.

Edited by ///, 06 April 2008 - 01:00 PM.

#7 cmarti6

cmarti6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:02 PM

Thanks a lot guys! I contacted Dell and they are sending me the CD at no charge.

Have a great day! :thumbsup:

#8 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:35 PM

Thanks a lot guys! I contacted Dell and they are sending me the CD at no charge.

Have a great day! :thumbsup:

I have discovered I don't have my CD after I started to do some work. To cut through all of the red tape do you happen to have the number or can you tell me exactly who you contacted at Dell to get another CD?
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image
All donations go directly to the helper

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:09 PM

Request Back-Up Disks for Dell

This is a form you fill out and send electronically.

Or you could look to see if you have a PC Restore. It may be in your Start Menu listed under Dell.

#10 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2009 - 08:41 AM

Thanks Queen-Evie! :thumbsup:
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

#11 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

Request Back-Up Disks for Dell

This is a form you fill out and send electronically.

Or you could look to see if you have a PC Restore. It may be in your Start Menu listed under Dell.

Just to let you know by following the link you gave and filling out the form I had the Disks in 1 day. Filled them out yesterday and Fed Ex delivered them today. That's some fast service.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:24 AM

Just to let you know by following the link you gave and filling out the form I had the Disks in 1 day. Filled them out yesterday and Fed Ex delivered them today. That's some fast service.

Wow! 1 Day! That's prettry darned impressive! :thumbsup:

#13 rene636

rene636

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:02 AM

Installing your fathers XP disc will not affect your system at all. I have done this for several years now with not one problem. After you install it, when you try to activate it, you will get a 1-888 number to call with a long code in 7 or 8 blocks. The automated operator will have you read them and then read a code back to you to activate your computer.

By the way, Microsoft number is 1-800-Microsoft, in case you need it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users