Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Internet Browser

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 monkpart9

monkpart9

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:55 PM

Ok, so recently I looked at my task manager whilst my internet explorer was running and much to my suprise it was taking up between 50,000 and 70,000 kilobytes when im not even doing anything that requires said amount. Its so rediculous it can even go up to about 100,000. Now, what im wondering here is why this is happening. As far as I know There arent any viruses/spyware/malware on my computer so as of now Im completely baffled. If anyone here could give me any insight on this matter it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:00 PM

As I understand it, 50-100 MB is not an unusual footprint for IE. I've also read that IE sometimes has problems releasing unused memory.

#3 monkpart9

monkpart9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:06 PM

You think using firefox might reduce MB usage?
If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:20 PM

While I 138% endorse Firefox over IE, the current version has more issues with memory usage than IE. The next version (Firefox 3) is due out very soon and reportedly addresses the memory problems very well. So, wait for Firefox 3, then ditch IE I'd say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users