Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rundll Errors, Screen Weirdness, And Other Oddities

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Glunn11

Glunn11

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

Hello BC Community!
I am working on "fixing" a computer for my aunt, but I find myself stumped. For starters, upon booting, the screen is at 16 color mode and 640x480. The mouse, though connected, does not appear.
If, by using the keyboard, I change the display settings in Control Panel and restart, the changes are not kept.

This led me to believe that something was amiss. So, I went to the Add/Remove programs area in her Windows ME computer and found several suspicious softwares:

"3dredym.zip" - I discovered this to be a file for supposed messenger skins.
"Free Internet Window Washer"
"My Web Search (Popular Screensavers)"
"PC-Doctor for Windows"

I am unsure if some of those are bad or not, but they do sound rather suspicious.

After a minute or so, an error also pops up on the screen:
"Rundll has caused an error in MMSYSTEM.DLL.
Rundll will now close.

If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer."

Is this due to a viral infection or just general computer stupidity? Either way, help is always so greatly appreciated!

Thanks.
-Glen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:06 PM

sounds intriguing :thumbsup: assuming will let you into it, is system restore available http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/ti...ystem%20Restore

do you know which antivirus program is supposed to be on board?
and do you know from what sourse these 'programs ' were obtained?

also, will it let you into safe mode at all?

#3 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

I have not yet checked for system restore; I will do that when I reconnect. (It's a hassle sharing parts between the two.)
I know that she has AVG Free 7.5 for an antivirus suite. As for the obtaining of these programs, I have not yet asked, but I would assume that at least some were downloaded intentionally, particularly the .zip file.

And, yes, I do have access to safe mode on the computer.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

Hi, first go into Control Panel....
Start > Control Panel> double click Add/Remove programs
Scroll the list and select My Web Search
Click Change /Remove to remove it
Remove any of the following ( FunWebProducts) if found
My Web Search (Smiley Central or FWP product as applicable)
My Way Speedbar (Smiley Central or other FWP as applicable)
Search Assistant - My Way

Next, open My Computer, Drive C, and double-click on the Program Files folder
Right-click and delete the folders for:

FunWebProducts
MyWebSearch

The other 3 are legit products but not neccessary, screensaver may contain adware. But perhaps they are bgugy and you may want to un install them also. You can put them back later.

Next run this scan
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:09 PM

Thanks for your reply!
I was able to uninstall the programs and delete the folders, as well as download and setup the Anti-Malware software. However, when trying to run it, I get:

"Mbam has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL.
Mbam will now close.

If you continue to experience problems,
try restarting your computer."

The Mbam file then proceeds to immediately crash.

I have retried this several times, even in Safe Mode, and the problem still persists.

Edited by Glunn11, 06 April 2008 - 08:23 PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:01 PM

Sorry to hear about these troubles. Let's try an Online scan.. BitDefender Online Scanner
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 09:24 PM

All right, I have successfully scanned the infected computer. However, without access to a mouse, I was unable to extract a report of what occurred. However, most files in question were deleted, some undeleted. No files were able to be disinfected.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:04 PM

Hi Glunn I am sorry this one got away do you still have no mouse. Is the PC running any better?

#9 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:07 PM

No worries! I'm sure you have a fairly busy schedule.
Well, no, the problem seems to have not resolved itself in any way, shape, or form.
The guy who made this virus must have just predicted this evil situation to occur. ;)

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 10:10 PM

I have requested assistance from the staff so hopefully we will have an Idea soon.
Thanks for your patience :thumbsup:

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

Hi Glunn,we're back with some ideas. Thanks to the cool Staff we have here.

After a minute or so, an error also pops up on the screen:
"Rundll has caused an error in MMSYSTEM.DLL.
Rundll will now close.

Please read this article and see if it helps:
Error Messages in Mmsystem.dll or Rundll32
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/138835
Some mouse help
Keyboard equivalents for simple mouse actions

When you boot into Safe Mode does the mouse work then?

How to enter safe mode(XP)
Using the F8 Method
Restart your computer.
When the machine first starts again it will generally list some equipment that is installed in your machine, amount of memory, hard drives installed etc. At this point you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.

Edited by boopme, 13 April 2008 - 08:05 PM.

#12 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:28 PM

Hey, thanks for getting back boop! Yeah, this place is pretty handy.
I have come across that article, yes. In fact, I had her follow its instructions before she gave her computer to me. From what she said, the system.ini file had several [BOOT] sections, and placing the entry caused another error message. However, she's not all-that computer savvy, so I will try and report what I find.
And, yes, the mouse does work in Safe Mode. However, Malwarebytes still gives the KERNEL32.DLL error, and, of course, I cannot access the Internet in Safe Mode to do the other.

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:02 AM

her Windows ME computer

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...post&p=6067

I would assume that the experts at Malwarebyte's forum are saying their program does not work with windows me

Key Features
Support for Windows 2000, XP, and Vista.

no safe mode boot with networking in windows me?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:10 AM

this will be challenging to say the least

you could download and install superantispyware, it supports windows me and runs full strength in safe mode

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantispyware.html

Windows 98 was a better operating system
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#15 Glunn11

Glunn11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 262 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

Yeah, 98 was definitely a better OS.
I'll try Super-Anti Spyware out and see what that does, as well as print out a cute little log report.
Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users