Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vomog1

vomog1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

Hi all

I seem to be having a constant problem with one of my monitors. When I boot up, the monitor light stays yellow. I must turn off the PC via the power button because there is no reset button. On turning it on again the monitor works and I am in the BIOS safe mode. There is always a warning telling me the CPU speed is set wrong (1250Mgz) which I know to be the correct speed for the CPU. I can then get into windows from the BIOS. I have tried a different monitor with cable and a different AGP card with the same results.I even reformatted the HDD thinking XP was playing up, but it works fine on my other PC. The motherboard is an Asus A7V333. OS is xp pro with 1248mbs DDRam.

Any ideas? Vomog

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:04 PM

If the bios is reporting incorrectly every time it sounds as if your Cmos battery is dying. Try replacing it, or testing it if you have a voltmeter.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:09 AM

I think that might be the problem if the time and date were showing wrong, but they don't. I just can't understand why the monitor will not kick in first boot, but will on subsequent boots, although it will always come up with the message about what mode should it start.ie: Normal, last good config or safe.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:02 AM

Since you have 2 PCs (and, presumably, 2 monitors) why not switch the monitors to eliminate any doubts about it?

I would also reseat the video card and check the connection to the monitor, just to eliminate those as suspects.

If those things are eliminated, then I would begin to concentrate on the hard drive and the O/S...and the PS.

The fact that it boots properly after multiple attempts...would have me concerned about all these things.

Louis

#5 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 04:47 AM

Hi Louis

I have tried all the things you mentioned as in my first post. What i maybe didn't make clear was that when on the first boot, the monitor clicks to yellow. I hold the main power button in for 5 secs to switch off. I found that just using the reset button did nothing. Then, when I boot up again, I push power and monitor buttons together. Thats when it goes into the BIOS and I push F10 and get windows back. Could it be a prob with the M/board.???

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users