Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

98se Upgrade To Xp Pro Nightmare!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 pcliberty

pcliberty

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:56 PM

Hello all,

I've been fighting with my sibling's PC now for a week.. hopefully someone can help!

Okay. The PC in question is a Compaq 5100 desktop series. Originally it came preloaded with ME, but due to constant problems Win98SE was installed on it instead.

Win98SE worked fine except it refused to recoginze external USB attached devices.

The upgrade to WinXP pro has been painful. Everything goes fine until the first reboot (after XP system files are installed)- the black screen with the time bar at the bottom rolls forward and then a black screen with this message appears:

"The file symc810.sys is corrupted." Install fails after this.

I can still get into Win98 fine after that.

Any thoughts??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:12 PM

Try this:

Open a run prompt, and enter the following:
chkdsk c: /f /x /r

You will be prompted to check your disk on reboot. Press Y for yes, and then enter.

Then reboot your machine.

This test may take some time (on the order of 1.5 hours or more, depending on the speed and size of the system's hard disk).

Hope that helps,
Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 pcliberty

pcliberty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

Hi Billy3,

I've tried running that command- the DOS screen shows up saying "Finished", then "Parse error 3".

I assume this means I'm typing it wrong, but I copied the command...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:24 PM

Oh, sorry, that command is for windows XP...

One sec.. I have to look up how that works in 98...

Have you had any problems with 98? Why are you upgrading to XP?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 pcliberty

pcliberty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:26 PM

Hey, no problem!

She wants to upgrade to XP because of various apps that work better in XP than in 98.

Besides that, she says that in 98, she's had a lot of problems w/ USB devices- sometimes they're recognized, sometimes not.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:01 PM

Please describe how you are "upgrading". Are you wiping out the Win98 stuff and starting over - or are you attempting to use the upgrade option within Windows to save your data?

Have you checked the CD to ensure that it's in good condition (not scratched or dirty)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 pcliberty

pcliberty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

Hi usasma,

I've tried installing XP using the 'upgrade' feature on the CD while running in 98. I've also tried the boot CD method. Both ways get me to that same error status.

The CD itself seems fine- no scratches, fingerprints, etc. It's always been in a CD case as well.

I really don't care how XP gets on to the PC- all info that needed to be saved has been done so onto CD's, etc.

#8 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:19 AM

Hello, pcliberty. I apologize for the delay. I had to install Windows 98 on a VM to generate these next steps, so it took a while ;).

Please follow these instructions:
  • Boot windows 98.
  • Go to Start -> Run and type in "scandisk" (without quotes)
  • Click your system drive in the field at the top of the window, usually C:
  • Click the Thorough radio button.
  • Click Options next to the Thorough radio button.
    • Make sure the "System and Data Areas" radio button is selected
    • Both checkboxes are cleared (unchecked)
    • Press ok.
  • Check the "Automatically Fix Errors" box.
  • Press the Start button.
Please then post the log located at C:\Scandisk.log (note, if your system disk is not C:, it will be on that drive)

The final log should look something like this:

Microsoft ScanDisk for Windows

NOTE: If you use an MS-DOS program to view this file, some of the characters
may appear incorrectly. Use a Windows program such as Notepad instead.

Log file generated at 01:15 on 4/6/2008.

ScanDisk used the following options:
  Standard test

Drive  (C:) contained the following errors:

ScanDisk did not find any errors on this drive.

-------------------

That should get us well on our way to diagnosing this problem ;)

Billy3
Posted Image

#9 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:44 PM

Did you use a upgrade CD, or did you use the full version? Or is you computer resources to small for Xp try listing your computer details :thumbsup:

#10 pcliberty

pcliberty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:08 PM

Hi Billy3,

Wow, thanks for going to all that trouble!

The result of the scan: no errors at all. I made sure all the parameters you specified were clicked.

LLL: it's an XP cd. I've tried doing the install and the upgrade methods. It's a Compaq 5100, 512 ram, 40G hard drive. Based on my own research, this should be fine to handle XP.

????

Thanks!

#11 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:12 PM

Can you put the log here?
Scandisk usually does not report errors, I'd like to see the log, please ;)

Billy3
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users