Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get anti-virus without going online?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 snow scorpion

snow scorpion

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 08:39 PM

I'm getting a new computer next week. :thumbsup:

I know the first two things to do are install a firewall and anti-virus.

My new computer will have XP with SP 2 already installed, so a firewall is not a concern.

And I know I'm supposed to burn a free AV program to a CD on my old computer and install it on the new computer. And then transfer my existing AV subscription to the new computer.

But where exactly do I find the free AV software?

Mod Edit: This will be moved to a more appropriate Forum.

Edited by scarlett, 22 March 2005 - 12:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:29 PM

Well see that is a common misconception. Theres not 24 hour viruses and hackers that sit their and pinpoint computers on the net without antivirus software.

To avoid wasting valuable data disks and floppy's my advice:

Just go to where you need to go to install the software on the internet and enable it when you get it.

This could be their website to get your free copy
Or an ftp server where you uploaded the files. It all depends

But in the end it all comes down to what makes you more comfortable. If you wanna burn the files to a disk and then install it. That works to

Edited by Techsomething.net, 21 March 2005 - 10:30 PM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:36 PM

You can find a free AV application from AVG: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 .
If you are extremely careful, and install an AV immediately after getting on-line the first time, you do not need to pre-install one; most viruses are received through Email attachments, so avoiding Email applications alltogether before you install your AV, will keep you safe enough.
I would also strongly advise NOT relying on MS's strange version of a firewall for very long, as it only works with incomming and NOT outgoing packets.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 21 March 2005 - 10:37 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:43 PM

You can find a free AV application from AVG: http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1 .
If you are extremely careful, and install an AV immediately after getting on-line the first time, you do not need to pre-install one; most viruses are received through Email attachments, so avoiding Email applications alltogether before you install your AV, will keep you safe enough.
I would also strongly advise NOT relying on MS's strange version of a firewall for very long, as it only works with incomming and NOT outgoing packets.
Regards,
John

Thats not true, viruses can be recived any way. Theres no "Most"

Believe me, ive done many tests from running brand new computers on the internet and junky computers on the internet with no security software whatsoever and purposely trying to mess up the system and get viruses. The testing computer lasted 5 hours and 10 minutes. And thats when we tried to mess it up

If your careful and install the software when you can, itll be all fine.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:36 AM

Theres not 24 hour viruses and hackers that sit their and pinpoint computers on the net without antivirus software.

All viruses work twenty four hours a day and 365 days a year. Also many trojans are placed in computers that then seek out other computers to infect by doing port scans automatically and reporting their findings back to websites and irc channels. I have a log file from an ftp32 nesebot that was doing exactly that. It was scanning 200 computers a minute looking for vunerable ones to infect. I pulled that from an XP machine I cleaned that had been on the internet for some time with no anti-virus or firewall other than the XP one.

I recently reprogrammed an XP computer that was programmed with XP Home with SP1A and then immediately connected to the internet. When I got to it it had over 360 virues identified by AVG and over 60 incidents of malware identified by AdAware after about 30 minutes on the net.

To answer the original posters question I always recommend that after loading your operating system you install an anti-virus program that you have burned to a CD then do the same with a firewall. The first thing you do when connecting to the net is to go to Windows Update and install all recommended updates, and update the anti-virus.

Edited by Leurgy, 22 March 2005 - 08:41 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 snow scorpion

snow scorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:35 AM

To answer the original posters question I always recommend that after loading your operating system you install an anti-virus program that you have burned to a CD then do the same with a firewall. The first thing you do when connecting to the net is to go to Windows Update and install all recommended updates, and update the anti-virus.

Thanks, guys.

Leurgy, my new computer is coming with XP & SP 2 already installed.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on my strategy (as it currently exists):

1. Turn on the firewall that comes with XP

2. Have my brother burn the free version of Avast or AVG Anti-virus to a CD on his laptop and then install that on my new computer.

3. Go online

4. Go to Microsoft and download all the security patches I need.

5. Go to Computer Associates and download the eTrust Anti-virus, Firewall, and PestPatrol (that's anti-spyware.) I have the Computer Associates stuff now and I like it.

Once that's in place, I can relax a little as I download:

Firefox 1.0.1
SpywareBlaster
Spybot S&D
Ad-Aware SE.

Do you see any major flaws in that strategy?

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 11:59 AM

That is turned on by default.

Sounds like a great plan but why not skip step two and instead get your brother to burn the eTrust free trial version? If you have a registered copy that you pay for all you have to do is reregister when you get online. That will save the hassle of installing/uninstalling the AVG or Avast. Most programs leave entries behind in your registry even after you uninstall to indicate to the vendors that you have had it before, version info etc. and some leave a lot behind. It would be a shame to mess up that nice clean registry on a brand new machine. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:09 PM

Shouldn't the XP Firewall be disabled before (or is it after?) the install of the new firewall?

One does not need both running, correct?

Edited by scarlett, 22 March 2005 - 12:10 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:23 PM

Good call scarlett. Two firewalls aren't really neccessary and the eTrust one (really its ZoneAlarm) provides alerts to outgoing activity which the XP one doesn't. I'd disable it after.

BTW, you dropped your egg. :thumbsup:

#10 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:29 PM

Good call scarlett. Two firewalls aren't really neccessary and the eTrust one (really its ZoneAlarm) provides alerts to outgoing activity which the XP one doesn't. I'd disable it after.

BTW, you dropped your egg.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Leurgy :inlove: Yes I have learned that an OS Firewall (In this situation XP's) only alerts to incoming activity. So why use it. To me that makes it almost completly worthless. :flowers: When one can have both outgoing and incoming activity monitored.

Lol Up for some scrambled eggs? :trumpet:
Posted Image

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 12:36 PM

Snow scorpion that sounds like a good plan. Btw we have a tutorial on this situation:

Steps to take when connecting a new computer to the Internet

The reality is that if you connect an unpatched/unfirewalled computer to the net you will be compromised in some manner within 24 hours..usually much much sooner. On the other hand, if you have a patched computer, and a password on your account and no firewall or antivirus, simply connecting the computer to the net will not hurt (i dont advise this though).

As stated, turn on xp firewall, connect internet, download and install all updates, install av software, install better firewall, disable xp firewall, and you will be fine.

#12 snow scorpion

snow scorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:24 PM

That is turned on by default.

Sounds like a great plan but why not skip step two and instead get your brother to burn the eTrust free trial version? If you have a registered copy that you pay for all you have to do is reregister when you get online. That will save the hassle of installing/uninstalling the AVG or Avast. Most programs leave entries behind in your registry even after you uninstall to indicate to the vendors that you have had it before, version info etc. and some leave a lot behind. It would be a shame to mess up that nice clean registry on a brand new machine. :thumbsup:

Excellent! :flowers:

I didn't know eTrust had a free 30 day version.

Thank you, Leurgy. You made my life a little easier.

Quick point: My brother won't have to install eTrust's 30 day version. All he has to do is download it to his desktop, burn it to a CD, and then delete it from his computer. Or do I have that wrong? :trumpet:

Scarlett,

Shouldn't the XP Firewall be disabled before (or is it after?) the install of the new firewall?

One does not need both running, correct?

I assume when I try to install the eTrust firewall I'm going to get a message saying something like "The Windows XP firewall is already running; please disable it so eTrust's firewall can be installed."

Grinler,

Thanks for tutorial. I've printed it out and am studying it carefully.

I'd appreciate it you three wise ones would keep an eye on this thread as I am something of a cyber-idiot and will probably have another question or two (or three) before the new computer is up and running smoothly.

Thanks again to all three of you.

#13 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 02:31 PM

snow scorpion ~ I assume when I try to install the eTrust firewall I'm going to get a message saying something like "The Windows XP firewall is already running; please disable it so eTrust's firewall can be installed."

YVW :inlove: This explains it all. :flowers:

As stated, turn on xp firewall, connect internet, download and install all updates, install av software, install better firewall, disable xp firewall, and you will be fine.

BTW A very cool name. :thumbsup: No pun intended. :trumpet:
Posted Image

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 06:44 PM

Quick point: My brother won't have to install eTrust's 30 day version. All he has to do is download it to his desktop, burn it to a CD, and then delete it from his computer. Or do I have that wrong? 

No, thats not wrong. In fact it would be useless to you if he installed it and then you copied the installation (program folder) to your computer. When you install a program it is "integrated" into your system and won't run if you don't actually install it as opposed to copying it.

I assume when I try to install the eTrust firewall I'm going to get a
message saying something like "The Windows XP firewall is already
running; please disable it so eTrust's firewall can be installed."

It may or may not. When I installed it the program detected a previous installation of ZA that I had to remove before it would install. The thing was I had uninstalled ZA and eTrust firewall (which is essentially the same thing) had detected those leftover registry entries that I mentioned earlier and I had to manually edit the registry to get rid of them before I could install eTrust.

Edited by Leurgy, 23 March 2005 - 06:56 PM.

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:18 PM

As long as you put the XP firewall on first though, you should be able to just download the software, with the firewall running. Then when you have all the software downloaded, unplug the ethernet cable, and disable the xp firewall and install all the other software. May save you a step but both methods work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users