Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware And Other Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 purps

purps

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hi.

I'm using XP on a Dell Inspiron 6400.

I've had CnsMin turn up a couple of times in the last few days (Arovax AntiSpyware picked it up). I pressed "clean" each time.

Then upon a reboot, the system could not detect a hard drive. So, I booted up from the Dell CD and, after several attempts, eventually got the hard drive sorted in that I can now boot up normally.

I have updated a few of the drivers - particularly the BIOS (flash) and chipset.

However, I have the following ongoing problems:

1. The "Computer Management" and other "Administrative Tools" won't work. When I double click I get a split second view of a Command Prompt before it disappears and no GUI.

2. The CD/DVD Drive is not being detected (System Information says that the driver is corrupted or missing). However, the driver installation fails. And I can't check that the right services are on because of 1. above. Going through the "Add New Hardware" option, it says that:
a. Conexant Modem is disabled
b. CD/DVD Drive - "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"
c. MEDIA - (with an audio icon) - "The drivers for this device are not installed."

Thanks very much for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:10 PM

what did you do from the dell cd?

run windows as a repair disk?

that doesn't fix malware problems, but it will often does fix windows after maleware has been fully eliminated.

Let's try a scan from another software but in safe mode.

Setup and update the program then boot into safe mode and run the scan

http://www.malwareremoval.com/tutorials/safemodeboot.php

Download and Install SuperAntiSpyware Free
  • Launch SuperAntiSpyware
  • Click Check for Updates and update to the latest definitions.
  • Click Scan your Computer
    • Check all boxes in the Scan Location box.
    • Check the Complete Scan radio button.
    • Click Scanning Preferences/Control Centre button.
      • Uncheck Ignore files larger than 4MB (recommended)
      • Check Scan Alternate Data Streams.
      • Click Close.
    • Click Next
  • SuperAntiSpyware will now scan your computer for infection. (This could take in excess of an hour depending on the number of files scanned)
  • When finished it will present you with a summary of its findings.
  • Click OK.
  • The Removal Screen will open.
    • Check the items in the list to mark them for Quarantine.
    • Click Next and SAS will Quarantine them.
Please send me the log.
  • Click the Preferences button.
    • Click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Logs are listed by date and time, click on the latest one to highlight it (at the top).
    • Click View log.
  • This will open a log page.
  • Copy/Paste the contents in your next post please.
CAUTION: SuperAntiSpyware comes with a programme called Bootsafe, do not for any reason use this programme, if used on an infected computer it could render it UNBOOTABLE.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 purps

purps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:53 PM

Thanks, I'm onto it.

I couldn't do a Repair because there was "no hard drive detected". Once or twice it would allow me to attempt an installation. Other times it would not. Eventually, I could boot from the hard drive.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

With a laptop make sure you are on AC power fully charged, the drive is clean and the disk in excellent shape,
people wear their optical drives out playing games, music and movies and then when they really need the drive, it's too late.

At least replacements have come down in price and generally improved in quality.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 purps

purps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:33 PM

I'm on AC power. Not sure if it's a hardware or software problem, except that the "no hard drive detected" msg hasn't recurred since.

I shall be back in about 12 - 24 hours with a report. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users