Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ideal Battery Back-up? (ups)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:14 AM

I'm shopping around for an UPS for peace of mind when the power goes out and I don't have to fret about whether or not my computer got fried. I have a nice surge protector, but that can only go so far.

My problem is I'm not quite certain which one to buy. I'll probably get the APC brand as they're pretty popular and reliable, I just don't know which wattage/voltage I need. They had a guide on their website, but I fear they didn't take into account some of the beefier components I have like a 700W power supply or a couple of 8800GT video cards (to be obtained). Is their online guide accurate or should I play it safe and go overkill? The problem with going overkill is $$$.

For the record, here are my specs if any one can help me out (much appreciated!)

Motherboard: eVGA 680i SLI
Power: CoolMax 700W (PSU specs)
Hard Drives: One 250gb SATA2 7200rpm & One 150gb IDE 7200rpm
Video Cards: 2 BFG NVIDIA 256mb 7600GT (to be upgraded to 2 eVGA 8800GT AKIMBO 512mb)
RAM: 4gb G.Skill DDR2-800
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz (Conroe)

Sound is integrated with the mobo. Also throw in the usual external peripherals like Altec powered speakers, force feedback joystick and b/w laser printer.

Based on the above info, what would be a safe and reasonable pick for an UPS with enough time to save and shutdown?

Thanks!
Venek
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:55 AM

The best way to make your choice is by gathering the information with which to make an educated choice. In order to really know what you need you would need to know what the average current draw is of your system. A device like the Kill A Watt meter. Once you know what the wattage is you can divide that by the line voltage to find the Amperage. Once you know what the amperage is you can figure out what amp hour amount will be best for you.

Edited by dc3, 05 April 2008 - 10:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:05 AM

If you're buying APC, may I suggest you look at their refurbished units. You can get some real good deals on the slightly larger units. I bought 2 and put my old units on my TV's

Edited by garmanma, 05 April 2008 - 11:06 AM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:06 PM

This article should explain everything you need to know on the different technologies and levels of protection.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users