Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Formatting My Computer!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 snake_3620

snake_3620

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 06:27 AM

Ok I will try my hardest here to explain my problem as I can so you can hopfully understand. I have a dell computer using Windows XP OS. I had a ton of crap on my computer and deleted a bunch of it and was ok with that for awhile. However I figured since I have had this computer for just over a year I thought I might do a hard drive format because I had no info or programs I really needed and recently (within the past month or so) My computer would just randomly crash. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me. I did a bunch of different virus and spyware scan with only one thing that would pop up. That was that the file "shell.dll" has been changed of altered. So I went and download the file and replaced it with the ond one and this did nothing for me. I still had full use of my computer at this time. However I got very annoyed by this so I popped in the cd to re-install windows that I got with my computer. I set up my bios so it boots from the cd. Everything seemed to be going fine. It went to the blue screen that says Windows Setup. IT's a blank blue screen basically but at the bottom of it there are a bunch of files that it says are loading. All the files seem to load fine and at the bottom it says "setup is starting windows." Without fail EVERY time my pc freezes at this point. and I get a blue screen error. It says " A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps: Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer. Technical information: *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78E663C, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) I then went on to try everything suggest and came up with no problems on any of them. I was running out of options so I took my hard drive out and hooked it up to a friends pc that is running vista. Wasn't sure how this would work being that I have xp, but I thought to give it a shot. I formatted it from his computer, I did the "full format" It ran almost all the way through at the very end the darn power went out. So when it came back on I did a quick format only which took like 2 seconds todo which I thought was odd but figured maybe it was because it was nearly done already with the other one. So I put the drive back in my computer hoping this would fix the problem. It did not I got the same results as before with the STOP error. So I put it back in my friends pc and tried todo it on his and I got the same exact thing with one exception. His actually loaded it to the recovery console where I can select enter to format or R to recover. But his would freeze at this point. I don't get it. I thought maybe the hard drive was bad but I could use everything just fine with the exception of the occasional crash before. Now of course I have absolutly nothing. Why did it go one step further on his pc than on mine? And now what am I supposed todo because My computer is worthless. Luckly I also have a laptop which is what I am able to get on here with. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

http://aumha.org/a/stop.php#0x7b - Inaccessible Boot Device

Is this the CD that came with the system?
Do you have a SATA hard drive?
Have you run a bootable diagnostic test on the hard drive (available for free from the hard drive manufacturer)?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 snake_3620

snake_3620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:06 PM

Yes its the cd that came with my computer and and its a SATA hard drive. I believe that I eliminated the fact that it's my hard drive that is bad. I just wentout and purchased a new one tonight and it did the same exact thing as my other one did. So I am totally stumped right now! Hopfully you can help me. Oh yeah no I did not run that because honestly I don't know how I can. If it something that needs the OS to load I can't do it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:19 PM

The fact that the computer boots from the CD indicates that you don't have a hardware problem. Did you use the CD that came with the new hdd to format it prior to installing the OS?

On a side note, you might benefit from reading this short article regarding taking one hdd with Windows installed and installing it in another computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 snake_3620

snake_3620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:40 PM

That was an interesting article thanks for that. I was not aware of that. And yes I did use the cd and it just gets errors for some reason unknown to me. This is driving me nuts here. Starting to look to me like I am going to be out a computer unless I get a new one. Not liking the sounds of this! :thumbsup:

#6 snake_3620

snake_3620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 12:13 AM

I noticed I got a few things wrong with the error message I typed in. STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78E663C, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) is what I typed in but the second set of numbers was not correct it should have been 0xF78AE63c sorry about that.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:23 AM

I suspect that this is you computer telling you that it can't read your SATA drive because it doesn't have the proper drivers installed.

Some systems have a setting in the BIOS to use SATA as IDE, but it's different for every system that I've seen. Post back with the exact make and model of your PC (or the motherboard if it's a custom build) and hopefully someone will be able to describe the setting for you.

That information will also allow us to locate the SATA drivers for the controller on your motherboard so that you can load them with Windows. There's 2 ways to do this:
1) use a floppy drive (a USB one will work) to load the drivers when XP prompts you to "Press F6 to load SCSI/RAID drivers" at the bottom of the screen.
2) use this link to "slipstream" the SATA drivers into your installation CD: http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--S...XP-installation
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 snake_3620

snake_3620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:57 AM

I have a dell Dimension E520! Hopefully option two will work or something else. I don't have a floppy drive. Here is something that happened to me lastnight while I was trying to install the new hard drive. I put the disk in that came with it and it wouldn't work like I stated earlier but it kept saying that the CD-ROM drive couldn't be found and to check my connections (which I did) I don't get how it's reading the cd I put in and yet it says that it cannot be found. That's why that disk kept getting the errors. I only have one CD-ROM drive as well if that helps.

#9 snake_3620

snake_3620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:55 AM

I haven't gotten any replies from anyone I was hoping that someone out there would be able to help me.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:21 AM

Could you post back with the service tag number on the back of your Dell. I hope to be able to get to this today - but I'm leaving for work as soon as I hit "Add Reply".

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 01:48 PM

If you can boot to USB, can you download the driver from the hard drive mfg. to a thumb drive?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#12 snake_3620

snake_3620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

my service tag number is 70k17c1. I was able to get a floppy drive from a friend of mine. But apperently my pc is stupid because it has a place to plug it in on the mother board yet no power supply for it. Also I am not able to boot anything as of now. The only way it will even start to bootup is when I stick the cd in to setup windows xp again. After it loads all the file on the blue setup screen it freezes and thats when I get the error message. If I put it in another computer I can get a few steps farther than that I get past when it says its going to re-start and all the way to when it gives the countdown to how much longer is left till it's finished but every single time it freezes up when there is 34 mins left. Hope this helps you guys.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:51 PM

apperently my pc is stupid because it has a place to plug it in on the mother board yet no power supply for it.

You new a drive to drive Y-adapter
EXAMPLE
Radio Shack or Best Buy carries it
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:32 AM

My USB floppy doesn't have a power supply and it works just fine plugged into the USB port.
Here's the link to your drivers on the Dell website: http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...tid=&impid=

Well, it appears that Dell has adopted the same sort of thing that HP does - and you don't need the SATA drivers in order to start the installation :thumbsup: It seems that you've got to "Go into the bios and change the "sata operation" to RAID Autodetect/ATA." Don't forget to save the changes before exiting. Here's a link about it: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums...p;cs=&s=gen

#15 snake_3620

snake_3620
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:50 PM

Well you hit the nail on the head there with that last comment. It finally worked. I am just confused about how that option got changed really. I have had this pc now for almost a year and never really got into the bios for anything like that anyways. Heck I guess I should even question it it's working now so that works for me. I can't thank you enough for your help!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users