Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best Protection

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Louismjj

Louismjj

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:28 AM

AVG Free Edition
Zone Alarm free firewall
Windows Defender
Mozilla Firefox

Not had a problem yet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:21 AM

Different things work for different people and I'm glad to hear that protection works for you : ). But you need to bear in mind that no protection is 100% foolproof. You can have so much protection and think your "safe" but that won't protect you if your a wreckless, careless internet surfer.

Heres what I have protecting me:
Anti virus: Avast 4.8 Home Edition(its out of beta ! :D )
Firewall: Comodo Personal Firewall.
Anti Spyware: Super Anti Spyware FREE, Comodo BO Clean, Spybot S&D, Spyware Guard, Malware Bytes Anti Malware, Spyware Blaster.
Anti Rootkit: F-Secure Backlight, Avast Anti Rootkit (it is built into Avast 4.8)
Browsers: Firefox (with McAfee Site Advisor, No Script and Ad Block), Opera (I just use my common sense while using this browser cuz there isn't really any addons that I can use with it)

This protection really serves me well but I still use my own descretion while using the internet :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 Jaheebajizzle

Jaheebajizzle

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:38 AM

All of the programs I've seen mentioned are great. :thumbsup: Here's what I like to use:

Here's my firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall
And my anti-virus: Avira Free Edition
Anti-spyware: Spybot Search & Destroy
And a little more for good measure: SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition
And my browser/Web app: SeaMonkey Browser (All-in-one web app)
"When I was an Alien... Cultures weren't opinions." - Kurt Cobain

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:55 AM

Because each company has different definitions of spyware, I always prefer to have at least two so that one will catch things the other might miss.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

Because each company has different definitions of spyware, I always prefer to have at least two so that one will catch things the other might miss.
Regards,
John

Very true :thumbsup:

#6 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:46 PM

Just stay on trusted popular sites with no virus problems.
I have spyware doctor and norton :thumbsup: But don't download too many it'll be more safe but your computer will freeze all the time since lack of resources XP

#7 extremeboy

extremeboy

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,975 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:34 PM

Hi, this is what I use:

Anti-virus:AVG anti-virus
anti-spyware:superantivirus
Another anti-spyware:spywareblaster
Ad-aware:ad-aware

*note* please do not download more than one anti-virus. Also downloading too much can slow down your computer.

Edited by extremeboy, 07 April 2008 - 07:36 PM.

Note: Please do not PM me asking for help, instead please post it in the correct forum requesting for help. Help requests via the PM system will be ignored.

If I'm helping you and I don't reply within 48 hours please feel free to send me a PM.

The help you receive here is always free but if you wish to show your appreciation, you may wish to Posted Image.

#8 Josho

Josho

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:18 PM

Comodo Firewall 3 is highly recommended as your Firewall.

Josh.
Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

#9 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 07 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

Comodo firewall is indeed a good firewall, even rated number 1 on many sites. Unfortunately, the multiple pop-ups are just not acceptable. Only use if you're an expert user or else, you'll have no idea what to answer to all the questions :thumbsup:

After reading a lot of articles and comparisons on different firewalls, putting Comodo and others in first place, I decided to test my ESET firewall on many free websites. Every test came back negative and gave me a perfect score, saying my protection was excellent.

I'm sure these websites don't scan all the thousands of ports but only the most common ones. I don't know but if I were a hacker, maybe I would try to use unpopular ports?!? So that's why I'm not sure about those online tests...

Now, that being said, what makes a firewall better than the others?

Antivirus: for me it's NOD32 (in fact I'm using ESET Smart Security with firewall)

Spyware: I use SuperAntiSpyware with SpywareBlaster

Edited by karbo1, 07 April 2008 - 08:28 PM.

Please post back if we found the solution

#10 Alio0p

Alio0p

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:02 PM

Hello all I have a question I hope someone can help me with . I have just formatted my pc due to a nasty trojan I had on my system and could not remove. Well at one time when you formatted your computer Nortan would renew the subscriptions. well not any more!...ugh lol I guess they got tired of that.

So my subscription is up in 50 days and I want to know if I should infact renew or would AVG anti-virus be a better program or at least as good. I use Outpost Firewal Pro and Ad-Aware 2007 along with the Norton anti-virus and worm protection. I hated the internet security suite that came with my Dell pc. it conflicted with my Outpost to much and I had to disable half of it's features to run it.

So I went and got just the anti-virus version of Norton but now I need to choose what to do next. I just can't get the fact that AVG is free and it can't be as good as one you pay for like Norton so surley it's better. right? :thumbsup: lol but I maybe fooling myself and paying for norton when I don't have to. any sugestions would be helpfull.

thanks for your time! :flowers:
~ Screw Lucky Charms, I'm Already Magically Delicious! ~

#11 Josho

Josho

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 10 April 2008 - 01:30 AM

Hello all I have a question I hope someone can help me with . I have just formatted my pc due to a nasty trojan I had on my system and could not remove. Well at one time when you formatted your computer Nortan would renew the subscriptions. well not any more!...ugh lol I guess they got tired of that.

So my subscription is up in 50 days and I want to know if I should infact renew or would AVG anti-virus be a better program or at least as good. I use Outpost Firewal Pro and Ad-Aware 2007 along with the Norton anti-virus and worm protection. I hated the internet security suite that came with my Dell pc. it conflicted with my Outpost to much and I had to disable half of it's features to run it.

So I went and got just the anti-virus version of Norton but now I need to choose what to do next. I just can't get the fact that AVG is free and it can't be as good as one you pay for like Norton so surley it's better. right? :thumbsup: lol but I maybe fooling myself and paying for norton when I don't have to. any sugestions would be helpfull.

thanks for your time! :flowers:

Hi,

Great Free Options are:
Antivirus: Avast! Antivirus 4.8 Home
Firewall: Comodo Firewall 3
Antispyware SUPERAntispyware 4 & Spybot (IMO, SUPER is better then Ad-aware 2007!)

ONLY USE ONE FIREWALL, AND ONE AV! Avast & Comodo worth a try! and both are free.

Josh.
Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

#12 Alio0p

Alio0p

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 04:53 AM

oh okay kewl thanks for ya help sure appriciate it. I already have a good pro version firewall paid in full for 3 years. but i'll lo0k into the AV you mentioned. thanks again :thumbsup:

#13 ///

///

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:09 PM

the free ones don't seem to detect much though :flowers: That's why I pay for them :thumbsup:

#14 Alio0p

Alio0p

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2008 - 02:20 PM

Thank you for your input /// I do find myself thinking that way too :flowers: but I still hold on to the hope that you can still get quality programs for free. otherwise people would stop using them. And coming here or a place like this is the best hope for any computer user.

Even though I had to formatt my computer anyway ( it was far over due ) they was still here to help. and you can't nor will you ever beat that! :trumpet:

I know if I have any questions about my computer or programs for it. The people here will help the best they can and I truely appriciate that. :thumbsup:

~ Alio0p ~

#15 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:37 AM

I find free protection quiet sufficient.

I use Comodo Firewall and it practically monitors everything! I was so impressed.
I also use Avast 4.8 free edition for my av and its fantastic.

I think they're the best AV and firewall for me because they have served me well with protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users