Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Abebot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pandora27

pandora27

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:40 AM

Hello!

Recently my laptop started showing a couple of pop up messages, both warning me that my computer was infected: one specified Abebot, while the other just says Trojan. Both then link me to a site for PC Cleaner. I started looking this up, found out it was a virus and finally asked for a friend's help. She told me to download HiJackThis and helped me get rid of some files, mostly MyWebSearch related files. Now I'm running Anti-Malware.

I'm not sure what the next step is, so my friend directed me to this forum. I hope someone can help me fix this problem.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone who can help me!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

can you kindly confirm for us which windows version you are running, which is your installed antivirus program, and what other protection programs you have on board?

may one also ask if the person who got you to run the HJT tool and presumably asked you to remove some lines with it has received any training in its use and interpretation of it ?

#3 pandora27

pandora27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:16 PM

can you kindly confirm for us which windows version you are running, which is your installed antivirus program, and what other protection programs you have on board?

may one also ask if the person who got you to run the HJT tool and presumably asked you to remove some lines with it has received any training in its use and interpretation of it ?

I run Windows XP, and I have Norton installed (though it has done nothing).

Under said friend's direction, I downloaded SDfix, Spybot, HiJackThis, Anti-Malware and AVG Anti-virus.

As for training, I believe she had a similar experience to mine and asked for help in this forum (so, training = previous experience?). She also directed me to this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/

So far, the pop ups are gone. I followed instructions for each of these programs and they all indicate that the virus is gone. However, I am, of course, still concerned that it isn't and therefore hope that someone will help me confirm whether or not it is.

I hope this information is sufficient. Thank you so much for replying :thumbsup:

Edit:

Now I am unable to load the Add/Remove Programs list. This didn't happen earlier today.

Edited by pandora27, 05 April 2008 - 12:41 PM.

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:16 PM

Under said friend's direction, I downloaded SDfix, Spybot, HiJackThis, Anti-Malware and AVG Anti-virus.
As for training, I believe she had a similar experience to mine and asked for help in this forum (so, training = previous experience?). She also directed me to this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/131299/how-to-use-sdfix/

So far, the pop ups are gone. I followed instructions for each of these programs and they all indicate that the virus is gone. However, I am, of course, still concerned that it isn't and therefore hope that someone will help me confirm whether or not it is.

I hope this information is sufficient. Thank you so much for replying :thumbsup:

Edit:

Now I am unable to load the Add/Remove Programs list. This didn't happen earlier today.

from this are we to understand you have now both Norton AND avg antivirus programs installed?

(also may one ask what 'training ' your friend actually has IN HJT log interpretation? do you know if she has enrolled in one of the HJT training schools? as to remove just one wrong line IN an HJT log can render a computer unbootable )

#5 pandora27

pandora27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

Edit:

from this are we to understand you have now both Norton AND avg antivirus programs installed?

(also may one ask what 'training ' your friend actually has IN HJT log interpretation? do you know if she has enrolled in one of the HJT training schools? as to remove just one wrong line IN an HJT log can render a computer unbootable )

Yes, I have both programs installed (I recently renewed my Norton suscription, perhaps a day or so before I received any indication that I had an infection).

So far I am leaning toward restoring my entire system. As indicated above, my friend received help from this forum. I only removed files from MyWebSearch, nothing else. My computer has continued to work normally, except for the Add/Remove Programs list, which is very slow in loading.

Again, thank you, and please let me know if more information would be useful.

#6 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:49 PM

if you have both Norton AND avg antivirus programs installed (?) that is tantamount to having NO antivirus program as each will wye for supremicy of your computer and ignore any infections

it is NEVER advised to have more than ONE INSTALLED antivirus program on any computer

you may well wish to go FOR a reformat and reinstall of the entire system as, with the TWO av programs on board doing really NOWT you may now have even more infections going on than you realise

if you DO do that please only install ONE antivirus program ( I would suggest you stick with AVG as it is free and Norton is known to be a computer resourse hogger and does NOT have a particularly good reputation)

does that help?

#7 pandora27

pandora27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

if you have both Norton AND avg antivirus programs installed (?) that is tantamount to having NO antivirus program as each will wye for supremicy of your computer and ignore any infections

it is NEVER advised to have more than ONE INSTALLED antivirus program on any computer

you may well wish to go FOR a reformat and reinstall of the entire system as, with the TWO av programs on board doing really NOWT you may now have even more infections going on than you realise

if you DO do that please only install ONE antivirus program ( I would suggest you stick with AVG as it is free and Norton is known to be a computer resourse hogger and does NOT have a particularly good reputation)

does that help?

It doesn't help at all, but thanks for trying anyway. I already know that two anti-virus programs shouldn't be installed, but I bet you're well aware that Norton doesn't refund and I'm loathe to lose the US$50 I had to spend to renovate while believing they were a worthwhile investment.

And by this you are telling me that none of the other programs work? If Spybot tells me I have no infections, it's not working properly? Be it because of Norton/other ant-virus etc.??? Because then I would have to take that into consideration, as well. I mean, if you care only about the anti-virus programs and don't think the other programs matter.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:38 PM

Antivirus and firewall are important, but dangerous if you duplicate services, antimalware protection that integrates like spybot sd helper and immunize is equally as important and not near as dangerous. Teatimer can mess up a computer just as bad as malware. If windows is corrupted you might have to run windows as repair disk to fix it, that often doesn't work and windows keeps your malware just like your legitimate programs.

Do you have recent logs from sdfix or antimalware?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:50 PM

many of us ( self included) will not have anything Norton related near our computers ;

however, if you feel obliged to keep Norton because you paid for it, then that is your choice; however, you do need then to un install the AVG anitvirus

you may wish to try running some other scans ?
once you have only ONE installed anitvirus program on board
try an on line house call from trend
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

it may take some time to load the definitions on the first attempt and needless to say it IS an on line scan and it may take some while to run ; do nothing with the computer while the scan runs

you may also wish to do some other scans

super antispyware

http://www.superantispyware.com/superantis...efreevspro.html

its free exe is http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfi...ANTISPYWAREFREE

also
asquared
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

its free exe is http://download6.emsisoft.com/a2FreeSetup.exe

I suggest you download the exe s to a safe place where you can easily locate them ; then install each and fully update the definitions; once fully updated I suggest you reboot into the computers safe mode and run each program on a full deep scan

once completed reboot into normal mode and let us know what , if anything has been found ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users