Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pop-ups, Pc Cleaner

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Andieland

Andieland

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:50 PM

I need help. I've folowed all this advice, disabled the windows messenger service, blocked sites, performed scans and cleanups through RR Medic, Windows Defender, and Dell Support Center. I still recieve several different intrusions on my user account (system integrity scan wizard, security protecion control panel, etc) They all take me to the "PC CLEANER" site. I can't get it to stop. I am the only user on this computer that has this problem. It doesn't effect anyone else's account. It just pops up so often it's really starting to become a bother and I can't make heads or tails of all this log stuff.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 April 2008 - 12:27 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum and gave a more descriptive title. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 12:32 PM

Hello Andieland and welcome to BC :flowers:

We need a bit more information in order to provide proper disinfection instructions. What is your operating system: Windows XP, Vista, etc.?

Do you have an antivirus installed? If so, please name it. I see that you have RRMedic installed, but that doesn't look like an AntiVirus program from what I've been able to find. Windows Defender protects against Spyware which is different.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Andieland

Andieland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:02 PM

I have Windows XP installed and I believe I have EZ Antivirus.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

Hello Andieland let's give these a shot and post back 2 logs and tell us how the PC is running now,thanks.

First we'll run the SmitfraudFix by Siri. This is a 2 step and we'll do one at a time.

Please download SmitfraudFix

Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press "Enter"; a text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present).
Please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.

Note : process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool"; it is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.
http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/proc...processutil.htm

NEXT:
Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Acan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Andieland

Andieland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:15 AM

I'm sorry I don't understand any of that. I can tell you I get 3 different pop ups I get one that pops up in a red box that says " you computer my be infected" "File" "C:\WINDOWS\wml.exe", threat- "Abebot", Then I get another that says, Security Protection Control Panel-"threat- Trojandownloader.xs", And another that pops ups as a "system Integrity Scan Wizard" that tries to get me to download PC Cleaner and when I go to close it, it asks me if I really what to exit setup. All of this takes me to PC Cleaner or anti-spyware.com I've blocked both sites, cleaned up any temp. files, cookies from the sites, etc, but the false warnigs still pop up. I've already ran every scan I can under the RRMedic, Windows Defender, Dell Support Center, EZ AntiVirus and a couple other mirosoft programs (?), everything comes back clear. I was told to use something called "hijack this", but I don't know the first thing about these logs you speak of, I can figure out to copy and paste but I don't know how to retrieve them.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

It is 2 programs to run to get a scan log of what may be infecting the PC.

The First , click on Red Words SmitFraud fix.download the program,then run it as follows.
Please download SmitfraudFix

Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press "Enter"; a text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present).
Please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.

The Second,use the Blue words to down load

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Then click Finish.
It will now run and scan and remove what it finds.
When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Andieland

Andieland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:54 PM

Well, I'm not sure what happened but when I logged on this morning, my computer had been updated, and a "malicious software removal tool" had removed something ( a week later) and the problem has ceased but I do thank you for your help and I will return if I have any more questions. Thank you so very much. Is there anything you would like to see?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users