Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What are you most worried about?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Poll: What cyber security woe worries you most? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

What cyber security woe worries you most?

1. Rootkits (5 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

2. Viruses/Trojans (6 votes [27.27%])

Percentage of vote: 27.27%

3. Adware (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. Spyware (3 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

5. Keyloggers (2 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

6. Tracking cookies (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Hackers (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

8. Phishing/Pharming (2 votes [9.09%])

9. CPU Hijackers (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

10. Other (2 votes [9.09%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 rdf8585

rdf8585

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 06:32 PM

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:00 PM

I voted for "other" because I am most concerned with the misuse of private information on the NET; there are too many companies with too much personal information with too few security checks, which has caused a tremendous rise in identity theft for millions of people(estimates for last year were9.9 million, according to a recent AP dispatch). Aside from financial losses, those people have had major problems getting, for example, their credit records corrected.

Here are some examples:

*California State Univ. was hacked and information about 59,000 people was stolen.

*145,000 people were exposed by a breach at ChoicePoint, which collects consumer date.

* The information service, Lexis-Nexis, has also admitted hackers gained access to personal information of 32,000 of its customers.

* LexisNexis admitted last week that intruders had accessed dossiers on about 32,000 people in one of its database products.

*Last year,hackers broke into the computer system of the University of California(San Diego), compromising confidential information on about 380,000 people.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 22 March 2005 - 09:19 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:31 PM

My teachers biggest problem is adware/spyware/malware. It seems as if no one cares that "other stuff" is being loaded on their computers until the pop-ups come and things grind to a halt.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:08 AM

Well guess I dislike ALL of the rubbish, BUT we depend heavily on our PC for banking and paying nearly every bill. That is the system here in Finland, and a very good system it is indeed. Makes life EASY.............But I am concerned about my Financial security. Do not want to wake up one morning to find my account empty or missing a few 's or Euros. :thumbsup:

I wake up enough mornings wondering why my pockets are empty and I have a headache

:flowers:

#5 cybormoron

cybormoron

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 02:21 AM

i voted rootkits because i don't know what that is. i've been thru all that other bleep and know how to avoid or deal with it. i run task manager and a neat program called "tcpview" constantly. i have all background network services disabled as per blackviper. and router and admin accounts are passworded and all ports are stealthed. i also watch my firewall logs. i only hope i'm doing enough.

Edited by cybormoron, 27 March 2005 - 02:23 AM.

I can no longer sit back and allow Microsoft infiltration, Microsoft indoctrination, Microsoft subversion, and the international Microsoft conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious open source GNU/Linux operating systems. General Jack D. Ripper.

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2005 - 02:30 AM

This quote explains it quite well. :thumbsup: Scary stuff, huh? As a matter of fact, I posted a news item regarding Rootkits Here

Rootkits are malicious programs that are designed to be invisible, often replacing core operating system functionality with a version of the same functionality that provides remote attackers with a back door into compromised systems, said Al Huger, senior director of engineering at Symantec.

Edited by scarlett, 27 March 2005 - 02:35 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:29 PM

I voted rootkits as well...they are the malware of choice for 2004/2005 in my opinion

#8 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2005 - 12:59 PM

I voted root kits as well as I'm pretty sure I'm protected against the other stuff but not sure how to protect against root kits and all the stuff I have read about rootkit detection/protection is over my head.

Tricky

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,617 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:35 PM

Only way to protect your self against rootkits is the same way you protect yourself from other malware. Smart use of your computer, wise choices of what you download and run, and a heavy dose of AV and antispyware software

#10 trickydick

trickydick

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:00 PM

Ok I thought there might be a new program out specifically for rootkits.
I currently run:
zone alarm
norton AV (scan 1/week)
Spyware blaster
Spybot S-D (every start-up)
Adaware (scan 1/week or so)
Spywareguard
Processguard
ewido security suite
spysweeper (scan 1/week)
window washer (evry shut down)
Winpatrol
X-Cleaner
stinger
MSanti-spyware
prevxhome

And constantly on the look-out for any new programs that might offer another layer of protection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users