Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First Built System Issues

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 warthog03

warthog03

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:43 PM

I just built a new system, and for some reason it will not finish booting.

First here is my build:

CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103228

MoBo - GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128090

Video Card - XFX PVT88GYDF4 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150261

PSU - OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817341002

RAM - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145034

HD - Maxtor 160GB 7200 RPM IDE

CD-ROM - Don't know brand but it is IDE

Case (Don't think it's important but to cover all basis) - It is something like this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1520
---------------------------------------------------------

The Hard Drive should already have windows installed on it, as it was from an older system. But, the system won't finish its start up.

When I turn it on all of the fans turn on and it sounds like the hard drive is turning as well. It starts to POST and I can reach the BIOS yet before it finishes the POST one of three things happen:
1: The screen goes black, the monitor loses the input, and the system beeps once and then starts the process again.
2. The POST ends with the message that the System Failed to Boot. Insert System Disk. Or something like that. And sometimes it tells me to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del, then it will do the same as in Number 1, it will beep and start again.
3. The POST ends and then goes to the screen that says that pops up when Windows crashed, the one with the option of booting in the various safe modes or normally. No matter what option I pick the end result is what happens in 1 and 2.

My first guess is the Hard Drive is bad, but I am hesitant to buy another Drive if I don't have too.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 11:27 PM

Hi Warthog03, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

Taking a hdd that has a Windows operating system on it from on computer and installing it in another is asking for problems. There are IDs in the registry that recognizes the chipset of the motherboard, and when you introduce a new chipset the operating system becomes confused. This can result in an immediate failure of the OS, or it could deteriorate rapidly to being non operational. I would try reinstalling the OS.

Edit: If you would like to read more about this problem you can find it here.

Edited by dc3, 04 April 2008 - 11:28 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 02:21 PM

Yea you cant do that because your system is different then the previous. Buy windows XP and do a fresh install on the Hard Drive. Also if your unsure about something ask before you do it so that way you wont run into other problems in the future.
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#4 warthog03

warthog03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 11:48 PM

I tried taking the whole system apart and trying it outside of the case on a box and still got the same message.

I would try to reinstall Windows but when ever i boot the system up it just repeats the message that I need to insert the system disk, even if i have the windows disk in the drive.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 01:10 AM

If you are getting this message then you problem isn't a hardware problem, it looks like you damaged the OS when you transfered it to the new computer. Try wiping the hdd with a utility like Active Kill Disk, reformat, set the partition and reinstall the OS. If this copy of Windows has been used in another machine you will have to contact MS to get it recognized as a genuine copy.

Edited by dc3, 06 April 2008 - 01:11 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 02:31 PM

I tried taking the whole system apart and trying it outside of the case on a box and still got the same message.

I would try to reinstall Windows but when ever i boot the system up it just repeats the message that I need to insert the system disk, even if i have the windows disk in the drive.

Did you set the BIOS to boot to the CD drive first instead of the hard drive?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 warthog03

warthog03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:25 PM

I will try and wipe the hdd and reinstall windows tonight. I will let you know the outcome. thanks for the suggestions!

#8 warthog03

warthog03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:30 PM

It worked! Thank you guys so much, but this is how you learn.

I have a few more questions though:

1. Do any of you have a recommended list of programs and/or updates to XP that one should install on a new computer?
2. My old computer stopped booting after the first screen and I had to press a button to continue booting. How do I get my new computer to do the same?
3. Also, does any one know the optimum CPU temp for my CPU? (see CPU type above)

And one last unrelated problem:
I have a file on my laptop that I want to move onto my external hdd. But, whenever I try to move it I get a message that says there is not enough room on the hdd. The file is approx. 7 gigs and i have 30 gigs free on the hdd. Any ideas about why I get this message?

#9 fred333

fred333

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:25 AM

That is a tough one. I would try to change the format of the file.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

And one last unrelated problem:
I have a file on my laptop that I want to move onto my external hdd. But, whenever I try to move it I get a message that says there is not enough room on the hdd. The file is approx. 7 gigs and i have 30 gigs free on the hdd. Any ideas about why I get this message?

Is the external drive formatted FAT 32 or NTFS?
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#11 warthog03

warthog03
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:00 PM

FAT32

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

That's the reason why
http://windowsitpro.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users