Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu Is Cool, But Fans Going Crazy?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

All right for me laptops are nothing but headaches. I would rather get a desktop but my friedn allowed me to have his laptop and its been nohting but a paint.

Anyways.

The CPU has been running awfully warm lately, so I opened it up and loked at the CPU to see a HUGE build up of dried thermal grease. So I got rid of all the dried grease.

When I'm doing moderate to high CPU intensive things the fans go CRAZY! And the CPU isn't hot. But I'm seeing a performance difference for the worst.

Any Ideas?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

What's the laptop and how much memory? I trust while you had it apart the blew out the fan and duct?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:16 PM

Did you replace the thermal compound? If not, do so immediately as this is what couples the heat spreader of the PCU to the surface of the heat sink and enhances the thermal convection.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:18 PM

Their is 768MB of ram,Yes I blew the fans and ducts clean. dc3, thier was already too much on to begin with. Its down to regular amount. All the extra ran off and dried.

EDIT: It is a Compaq Presario R3000 (Intel Version)

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 04 April 2008 - 10:40 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:12 AM

If it was me and I already had the heatsink off, I would have done the extra steps and cleaned both surfaces completely and reapplied fresh compound
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:17 AM

And make certain you use the Thermal Compound with Silver in it. If you use the stuff they sell at Radio Shack your fan will continue to run.

DR

#7 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:31 AM

Allright, ill pick up some thermal grease today, apply it ant post back telling you what its doing now.

EDIT: Ok, picked up some Arctic Silver. cleaned off my cpu and heat sink. Let it dry. Laid down a nice fresh layer.

Now I get this on speed fan.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/nika1667/Uhoh.jpg

However I get this on Sensors view

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/nika1667/Hmm.jpg

My question is if my computer is so overheated, why are my fans at 0 RPM? Is it just not that hot and the thermometer thingy got killed?

Their are four vents and two fans. The two fans blow air out all four. The bottom vents which are positioned right below the fans are blowing cool air. The side vents which are less than half an inch away from the heat sink are blowing moderately warm air. Not over heated... just a little warm...

Fans seem to have calmed down and performance is back to normal.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 05 April 2008 - 05:07 PM.

#8 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 02:37 PM

The computer is still shutting down randomly.

Any one have a clue?

(Sorry for double posting.)

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

For starters, I don't really trust Speed fan. Is the fan running when it shuts down? Tape a piece of paper in front of the exhaust so you can keep an eye on it to make sure. You might want to check the fan connection since you've had it apart. You might also consider a new fan
Mark
Posted Image

#10 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

Fans are not the problem. The computer is nice and cool. Speed fan reads it at a constant 0RPMs (fast eh?) But thier never off... But now the fans are not going insane.

I don't really trust speedfan my self any more.

I decided that the Processor may have sustained excessive heat damage and it may have been needed to swaped out. So I took out my 3.2Ghz and slapped in my 3.0Ghz, reapplied a new layer of thermal paste and...

Working for about 20-30 minutes than Poof! Gone! As if I pulled the power cord when I didn't.

The time it shuts down is not always constant. Some times an hour or two, some times I don't even get into Windows.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 09 April 2008 - 04:43 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:58 PM

What kind of error are showing up in the Event Viewer at the times that it shut down?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users