Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Up-dating Bios

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 himbo

himbo

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

I need to up-date bios as I bought new monitor, 1440 x 900 resolution, my bios does not support. Went to ASRock web site, downloaded up-date.
Mother board ASROCK K7S41GX 462 socket
I must up-date through "A:\" drive.

ASRock instructions...

Create a bootable system floppy disk.
Download an updated ASRock BIOS file (WinZip format with .zip file extension) from the web site, unzip the BIOS file and save both ASRFLASH.EXE utility and BIOS file to the disk you created in step 1.
Boot from the disk you created in step 2.
At the "A:\" prompt, type ASRFLASH, hit space bar once, and type BIOS file name then press <Enter>. For example: A:\ASRFLASH K7S41GX2.00 <Enter> then you will see a message "Please wait for BIOS loading ROM".
After 30 seconds, you will see the message "Flash ROM Update Completed - Pass", then you have finished upgrading the BIOS.
After finishing upgrading the BIOS, please remove the floppy disk. Restart your system and press <F2> to enter the BIOS setup utility during boot up.
In Exit menu, please select "Load Default Settings" and press <Enter> to continue.
Select "Exit Saving Changes" and press <Enter> to exit the BIOS setup utility.
Now, system is booting up with new BIOS.

How do I create bootable floppy disk, I have bootable cd, will not work here

Up-date is 611 mb 2 files
plus boot info
Floppy holds 1.44 mb
Nero does not do floppy disks, Nero bootable CD is 2mb, so cannot be copied to floppy.
How can I boot computer and up-date bios?
Is there a program that will allow me to download boot info to floppy and still leave room for the up-date?
Should I exchange my new monitor (got a good deal) for one that has a resolution that my bios supports?

Is it OK to use this monitor if the PC does not support the resolution?
Damn I am confused!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:43 PM

I would think you need a good agp card not a bios update

to make a boot floppy, open my computer, stick a disk in the drive, right click on A drive, format, make a start up disk

or something to that effect, I leave my floppy drive disconnected sitting on a bench

there's almost always room for the flasher and bin file, if not(do the math) then just switch floppies after you boot
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 fred333

fred333

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 10:28 AM

That was the suggestion I was going to say too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users