Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewall

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:00 PM

Hi one and all,

I've got a question that may or may not fall foul of the " should we or shouldnt we " question.

I've received a new laptop from work - a very nice computer indeed.

I'm very happy with it, and while it should be for business only, i'm certainly gonna use it at home.

Once out of the office, i simply disable the proxy server settings which allows me to connect to my home wireless network.

All is good here .. i can access web pages that the company prohibit in the office - facebook etc etc so im one up already.

I've tried to install several programs, example poker software, which would usually not be allowed in the office, but i want to use them simply at home.

However, although i've downloaded the program, installed the software it seems unable to connect to eh gaming server.

Now, i can only imagine that this is something to do with the firewall settings, which are in place thanks to McAfee.

I know how to add an exception to the firewall to allow a numer of programs, however, the McAfee installed on this particular piece of fine office equipent, does not allow me privalidges to add exceptions - for reasons i can fully understand and which make perfect sense.

While i could make all sorts of arguements about how im a person of good stading and that i would be ever so careful as to the access i was allowing myself, i know it would fall on deaf ears, so if you're disinclined to offer advice, i will completely understand.

What i am asking is, is it possible to force quit McAfee and simply stop it interfering for a short period.

I do have administrator rights to the computer, but it seems that even with this, i cannot disable the functions through the task manager nor can i run msconfig to disable it on start up as it seems to want to run regardless !!

Anybody got any sneaky underhanded but oh so clever tricks that might help e get as much enjoyment out of this great machine as i get of productive work ??

Thanks in advnace for your time.

J
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:13 PM

No one here is going to help you get around your employers security policies, sorry.
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

No need ot be sorry - while my reason for wanting to circumvent these policies are innocent enough, i understand the implications such knowledge has. I figured if i didnt ask, i'd never know.
I may still never know, but i guess im just hungry for knowledge - i wanna know how to do things ..... wether or not i ever do them is not really the problem fo me ...having the knowledge is not the power - the power comes in knowing how and when if ever to use it, i know the difference beween right and wrong for instance, but i guess i just like the idea that i know something is possible !

Thanks for taking the time to reply all the same.
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

#4 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:22 PM

i'm certainly gonna use it at home.

Once out of the office, i simply disable the proxy server settings which allows me to connect to my home wireless network.

All is good here .. i can access web pages that the company prohibit in the office - facebook etc etc so im one up already.

I've tried to install several programs, example poker software, which would usually not be allowed in the office, but i want to use them simply at home.

However, although i've downloaded the program, installed the software it seems unable to connect to eh gaming server.

web pages that the company prohibit

It is their equipment they gave you to use on the job, why is it being used for non work related stuff? They are protecting their equipment/investment by stopping certain webpages/sites, which shouldn't be accessed from company equipment.

it seems unable to connect to eh gaming server

These are a source of malware, virus, trojan's, etc... which very well could put the entire company at risk. You play some online poker, come in the next day and get on the company LAN. Anything you picked up from the online gaming is now behind the firewall putting everthing at risk.

The best answer to your question is to get your own computer and then you can do as you want to with it.
Steve

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:28 PM

carnivalofsorts,

Schools, and most business, have established a computer use policy, and implement it by whatever means.
Any attempt to circumvent such policy exposes these computer systems to a host of viruses, trojans, spyware, dialers, etc.
It is most likely a violation of your schools terms of use for their system, also.

Per the BleepingComputer's Message Board Rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user.

This topic is closed.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users