Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anybody Familiar With Secure Alert Spyware Killer By Cosmi?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Misterdog

Misterdog

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:39 PM

I'm wondering if it is reputable software. I ran it for the first time today, and was shocked when it reported a variety of malware--a total of 237 "offending" items, including several keyloggers and dialers. Spybot Search and Destroy, on the other hand, reports no problems, and Ad-Aware only reports some low-risk cookies. So I'm puzzled. Who do I believe?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:20 PM

I'm not familiar with your software but I use a reputable anti-spyware, SuperAntiSpyware's free edition. It finds a lot of things and works good.
Please post back if we found the solution

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

Here's the page on the Cosmi website. It seems to be part of a larger security package. It's a paid program and there are enough free spyware programs around that paying is unnecessary. But AdAware & Spybot aren't as good as they used to be and a lot of us have switched to Superantispyware http://www.superantispyware.com/ Finding that much stuff seems a little suspicious. Try Superantispyware and see what it finds. I run it weekly and it has snagged a couple of trojans.

http://www.cosmi.com/onlinestore/proddetai...Matnr=968000WEB

#4 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:21 PM

out of curiosity I have done a google search for

'secure alert spyware killer'

I got many links to 'crack' applications

may I suggest you tell us what you presently have installed antivirus wise and other programs wise

are you on XP?

#5 Misterdog

Misterdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:56 PM

I am running Windows XP Professional. I have Norton Internet Security running all the time, with all of its features activated. I run Ad-Aware and Spybot periodically. Also occasionally run Trend Micro's Housecall, but it has been several months. I recently bought a new tax preparation software called "CompleteTax". The package includes a security program called "Secure Alert Spyware Killer". I ran it this afternoon. It flagged 28 files, 1 folder, and 208 registry keys.

As suggested, I just finished downloading and running Superantispyware. It came up with 304 tracking cookies, but nothing else.

I have not yet removed or quaranteed any of the files flagged by any of the anti-spyware programs. I need to do a back-up first before I do anything drastic.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 05:59 AM

out of curiosity I have done a google search for

'secure alert spyware killer'

I got many links to 'crack' applications

may I suggest you tell us what you presently have installed antivirus wise and other programs wise

are you on XP?

I got the same result but searched for Cosmi and discovered that they don't sell a seperate spyware product. So they obviously licensed this to whoever makes the tax program. It's certainly behaving like a rogue program and if you take a look at Cosmi's product line, it seems very generic. I agree with you that it seems a little fishy.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:08 AM

from which sourse DID you download this 'program' as all my google searches sent me to a most definite definite 'crack 'site ?

and from where did you buy this 'Complete tax' thingi?

this to me all sounds very fishy; if that were MY computer I would most likely do a System Restore to PRIOR to installing this 'program' ; then fully update ALL my security programs including, I suggest adding

asquared
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

its free exe is

http://download6.emsisoft.com/a2FreeSetup.exe
may I suggest you download this program and then fully update this and your superantispyware program, reboot your computer into safe mode and run a full deep scan with both programs

see what gets flagged up?

if you wish for a specific program to do a specific job on the computer for whatever that legal job is, let us know then we can see what the rest of the members can come up with that is known to be safe?

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:30 AM

CompleteTax is an online tax prepearation service. As I said, they may have licensed the Cosmi product but it doesn't seem like a very good product.

http://www.completetax.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users