Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:17 PM
Trying to navigate this process of self-healing my laptop. I have downloaded Hijack This and ran a logfile. It says not to post logfile until asked so I will not post yet. Here's what happened to make my machine screwy.
1) MS Word started acting buggy. Certain word docs wouldn't open. Changing fonts would render program inoperative for some reason.
2) Thinking I had a virus of some sort, I ran an Ad Aware 2007 scan. It found over 500 potentially bad files but then it too froze, before the scan could complete.
3) I tried to run McAfee anti virus that came on my Dell b130. Found it was expired.
4) Went to McAfee and downloaded the latest. The installer told me I needed to remove existing version before new McAfee could be installed.
5) Un installed old McAfee and rebooted. That's when the trouble started.
6) Now if I launch IE, I keep getting this annoying error: Common Shell ResXX\McShield.dll
7) McAfee never was installed.
ANy takers on helping here?