Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Warranties

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 engineer333

engineer333

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:36 PM

HAs anyone had to return a processor? If so, how do they know what type of heatsink/fan you used on it? I know many of them say you have to use a approved heatsink/fan in order to not void your warranty. Is there a way to tell?
My Machine: Antec 900 | Foxconn C51XEM2AA | EVGA 8800 GTS 640 Superclocked | AMD 5200 X2 @ 2.6 | OCZ GameXStream 700w | GEIL 2gb DDR2 800 (6400) | Seagate Barracuda ES 320gb | Samsung 18X DVD+-R w/Lightscribe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:59 PM

I don't think they could know if you used a different heatsink and fan, and that you can void a warranty by sing a different heatsink. You logicly use a different heatsink and fan because it's better then stock ones.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:20 PM

They could possibly tell if its been improperly mounted by the type of melt down the processor had. If you wipe off the thermal paste theres no remnant of the heat sink left on the processor. Other than claiming that a properly mounted approved heat sink would have prevented the failure I can't think of a way they could tell.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 engineer333

engineer333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:43 PM

Thanks guys, i think i have decided what i need to do. go with the proper gear to keep my machine cool.
My Machine: Antec 900 | Foxconn C51XEM2AA | EVGA 8800 GTS 640 Superclocked | AMD 5200 X2 @ 2.6 | OCZ GameXStream 700w | GEIL 2gb DDR2 800 (6400) | Seagate Barracuda ES 320gb | Samsung 18X DVD+-R w/Lightscribe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users