Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

looking for Free Anti-trojan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sam-my

sam-my

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 21 March 2005 - 04:33 PM

Are Ewido and A2 "real" anti-Trojan programs which can be compared to Trojan Hunter?
I am using the free version of both programs and manually scanning my PC three to four times every week (alternating with the programs).
SpySweeper and MS AntiSpyware are running as residents (System tray).
Do I need both Ewido and A2 in order to be 'protected' from trojans?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2005 - 11:12 PM

What you need is an resident Antivirus.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 sam-my

sam-my
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 03:54 AM

hello John

I have two (free version) Anti-virus : AntiVir and AVG. I am installing them alternately in the System tray, but mostly using the AntiVir since it needs less Ram resources. Scanning is performed (Scheduled automatically) once a day.
I was using the Norton AV 2003 for two years but I've decided not to renew the program.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2005 - 10:12 AM

Quite frankly, you seem to be overkilling. If you have a firewall, and a resident AV running on startup, and scan your hard drive on a regular basis with one or two well-known spyware applications such as Spybot and Ad-AwareSE, you are about as safe as can reasonably be expected. Obviously, the best protection for your PC is yourself, and the exercise of some care about what you download, your broswer's security settings, and common sense about what websites to visit.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Lobos

Lobos

• Members
  • 317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 22 March 2005 - 04:00 PM

I'm not sure if there aree any free anti trojan software , those are free cleaners
and they provide the guard option if you still are in the trial phase of trying the product out. but the guard part is for the paid versions.

if you want a good trojan protection and are willing to pay a few for it. i would go with TDS-3 or Trojan Hunter. but edwido and a2 are good cleaners i have them both myself.
but i don't know of any free real time protection from trojans software.

That's ok to have two av's as long as you dont enable the realtime protection on both of them at the same time.

Lobos
<span style='color:blue'>Ad-Aware SE</span> | Spybot S&D 1.4

For extra protection try spyware blaster

<span style='color:blue'>If you use IE I suggest using these two programs</span> MVPHosts & IE-SPYAD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users