Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding More Ram

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 TheHelp

TheHelp

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:01 AM

ok so this is what i have right now

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R

Processor
Intel Core2Duo 3.0 E6850 1333

Module Size: 2GB kit (1GBx2)
Package: Ballistix 240-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-8500
Specs: DDR2 PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR2-1066 2.2V 128Meg x 64

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs...754B749A5CA7304

and this is what i am thinking of getting as a 2 x 512 kit

Module Size: 1GB kit (512MBx2)
Package: Ballistix 240-pin DIMM
Feature: DDR2 PC2-6400
Specs: DDR2 PC2-6400 4-4-4-12 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR2-800 2.2V SLI-Ready 64Meg x 64

http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/mpartspecs...0B22550A5CA7304

my memory has been underclocked to match the cpu frequency and they are now running at 1:1 ratio according to CPU-Z, i want to reatin my Dual Channel memory (interleaved) so i have decided to get another gig (2 x 512) so after adding this i should have 3gig memory al together.

Do you see any reason why i shouldnt get the additional 1 gig (2x512)? it just seems that the timings are way different would this cause me a problem?

can you make any recomendations from the crucial site?

Thanks,

Edited by TheHelp, 04 April 2008 - 06:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

Most motherboards require the ram to be matched to use interleaved ram. Also, because you have 2 sticks, you should already be in Dual Channel mode.

In other words, you would need to buy 2 gigs of ram, and the modules would have to match (and preferably be the same as) the ones you already have installed.

If your system still shows single channel mode, then you may have the ram installed incorrectly. Most boards use dual channel when slots 1 and 3 and/or 2 and 4 are installed, in groups.

Long story short, if you have one of your 1GB sticks in slot 2, move it to 3, and if you have one in 3, move it to two, and see if you are in dual channel mode.

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 TheHelp

TheHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:44 AM

Hi,

i am currently running dual channel, i have placed the ram in slots 1 and 3, that is one gig in each slot which is 2 gig altogther

what i needed to know is, as i want another gig (3gig) ram can i place the above 512x2 in slot 2 and 4 and retain dual channel?

Thanks,

#4 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:57 AM

Ah, I see.

It depends on your board. It is not likely that the board will run dual channel without all matched sticks, but usually the only way to find out is to try it :flowers:

I would save your money if I were you, but thats my 2 cents :thumbsup:

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:02 AM

Hmm...I would have to ask what O/S you intend to install (I may have missed it).

Louis

#6 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 10:16 AM

Or you could spend a little bit more and pick up 2 1G sticks, most likely the OS will only read 3G anyway but you'll have a spare when one dies, and remove the doubt of whether it will work or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users