Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dad's Computer Takes Forever To Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 helpingRocks

helpingRocks

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

my dads computer takes about 5-10 minutes to startup....He does have ad-aware Adwatch people say that slows computers but it has always been like this ever since he had McAfee and he got rid of it and got Avast! and it's still slow.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

Hello,

Do you know the specs for the system? Processor, RAM, Graphics.
I would advise doing some general cleaning, to this end I would suggest using http://www.ccleaner.com/ to clean us some space, http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag to defrag the system and http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html to do some final optimizing. Remember to back up important files first before using.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 helpingRocks

helpingRocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

Thanks for the response Niggles =]

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:10 PM

Hello,

Do you know the specs for the system? Processor, RAM, Graphics.
I would advise doing some general cleaning, to this end I would suggest using http://www.ccleaner.com/ to clean us some space, http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag to defrag the system and http://www.iobit.com/advancedwindowscareper.html to do some final optimizing. Remember to back up important files first before using.

Advanced WindowsCare contains a registry cleaner.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Before using any registry cleaner you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first.
For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:19 AM

Any Advanced Windows Care usage can be reversed by its own restore centre if needed. It performs its own backup before any modifications are done.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:11 AM

Hi nigglesnush85! The point here is that registry cleaners aren't good for the system. A search of BC for this topic will lead you to many posts about the problems with them. As such, it's a matter of policy that we don't recommend registry cleaners here at Bleeping Computer.

In my personal experience, a registry cleaner (even one from Microsoft) can render your system unbootable. At that point it becomes a difficult task for even an advanced user to replace the registry hives that are affected. Not having used Advanced WindowsCare myself, I don't even know if the "backup" is readable from outside of Windows - or if it's in a format that can be used to replace the infected registry hive from outside of Windows (because Windows wouldn't boot).

Further detail is available in this thread: http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t...highlight=myths
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:13 AM

Hi usasma,

Thats fair enough and the points you make about registry cleaners are certainly valid. I have been using the product in question for years, and have installed it on over 50 systems, out of all those systems, none have developed faults. Also the registry cleaner is a module of the program and can be disabled if desired.

If it is a matter of policy not to recommend registry cleaners I will respect this policy but does this also mean that Ccleaner should be recommended.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 helpingRocks

helpingRocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:46 PM

On my other computer I used CCleaner and I was too afraid that I would mess something badly up so I deleted it but thanks anyway also I'm scared of registry cleaners they usually scare me I hate messing with the registry.

#9 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:27 PM

if you are confident that the computer is free from any infection (?) , when did the computer last have any basic housekeeping doen on it such a defragment run?

can yu find out for us exactly what protection programs he does now have on it?

you are posting in the XP section; so does the computer have SP2 installed and are all windows updates up TO date?

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

Its ok, you can do other things to speed up the computer, however some are not as effective.

To improve startup speed, use msconfig. Go to start then run and type msconfig press enter. A new window will show itself, click the startup tab. there should be a list of files with check boxes next to them. Everything checked will start up when windows starts. clearing the check boxes of the unecesary will stop them from loading. However you should be carefull not to stop something that the system needs. Post the entries here and we can advise on what should be left alone and so on.

The next step would be services. Go to start then run and type services.msc A new window will show itself, this is the list of services that are running on your computer you can stop, start, or disable certain ones. http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm is a page that will show you which ones are safe to stop.

A cleanup of the system can give a speed boost, you can do the windows own cleanup tool. open My computer and right click on a hard drive select properties from the list and just below the pie chart, click disk cleanup. it will show you the files it wants to remove, but doesn't clean up unless you say.

I have found one of the biggest speed increases comes from disabling the indexing service. As before right click on a drive in my computer and clear the check box next to 'allow indexing service to index this disk for fast file searching'. depending on the size of the drive it may take some time.
Regards,

Alan.

#11 helpingRocks

helpingRocks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:55 PM

He has Ad-Aware, Avast! and Ad-Watch which came with Ad-Aware and he most recently got rid of SpySheriff or something like that but it was always like this before the infection and I don't know when he last did that stuff...

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:19 PM

He has Ad-Aware, Avast! and Ad-Watch which came with Ad-Aware and he most recently got rid of SpySheriff or something like that but it was always like this before the infection and I don't know when he last did that stuff...

before WHAT infection ???what exactly was the infection that he caught and how did he try to get rid of it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users