Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random Reboots

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:37 PM

Hi there,

I have a maxdata pc, which has been running perfectly for nearly 1 & half years, no problems at all!

Yesterday I installed a HP all in one printer, alongside a Canon all in one printer on the same system(which has been installed for 6 months), and seemed to be fine, the HP printed test pages/photos perfectly.

I also installed a bricopack theme (which i removed after the rebooting happened), the same theme I have been running on my Laptop with no problems.

When I installed the HP Printer, I removed a USB cord from the hub at the rear, it did seem to get jammed, had to give it a little force, but nothing appears to have come loose and I have since installed a separate usb device on that same socket, so that is working.

WELL 24 hours later, I right click the HP digital imaging icon in the taskbar(is that just a coincidence?) and my system reboots, and now it reboots randomly, when doing all different takes (not just related to hp) - I have changed the system start up, so I could see the blue screen, but I get no errors(no blue screen), it just reboots.

Have checked temp and all seems fine (38c).

Taking all the above into consideration, what can I do to try and work out why my system is rebooting?

I am thinking of reformatting, and seeing If i get reboots before I install the HP printer again.

Thanks -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

Hi.

First thing, you want to try to get an error message for the reboots, Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

If you installed the entire HP software package, that could be cause of your problems. My suggestion would be to uninstall that and run the system for a time without it...and see if the problems return.

And I suggest taking a look in Event Viewer and seeing if there are any clues to system anomalies there.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

If you can post details for the last 3 errors, that would be great.

Louis

#3 Franky-99

Franky-99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:20 PM

Cheers Louis, will check that in the morning (uk time) as everyone is fast asleep!

One odd thing I forget to mention, is that I done a repair of windows xp, to see if that would help, and while it was repairing, and installing windows (the screen you see when you first install windows xp) , a windows installer box kept appearing, trying to reinstall omnipage OCR, which was part of the hp package for scanner, removed all the software, but still didn't solve the issue - will check for the error message next.

Thanks

#4 Franky-99

Franky-99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:46 PM

Louis - not sure if your still around, but I had to reformat windows, as It wouldn't boot up, so I went for a reformat.

Bad news (for me anyway) is that the system still reboots randomly, i managed to do a fresh install of windows, install all the relevant drivers, thought I was in the clear, and then out of the blue ...REBOOT...driving me insane!

What to do now? shall I see if I can get any errors from the Event Viewer?

Or does this look like its hardware based? faulty memory? cpu too hot? dust inside???

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 12:56 PM

Hmmm...first, I would satisfy myself that it is not an overheating problem. That means that I would clean the computer case, if needed, and ensure that all fans are functioning properly.

I'd also check the BIOS temperature for the CPU immediately after one of these reboots/crashes.

Next, I would Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

Having done those two things, I would then look for errors in Event Viewer that might shed more light on what's going on.

Did you reinstall that HP software?

Louis

#6 Franky-99

Franky-99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:00 PM

Never reinstalled any software since the reformat, all I installed was the drivers, ATI and Audio - even if the HP wasn't to blame, too much junk is installed on system, so won't be installing HP software.

Will take a look at what you suggest and report back.

Thanks again

#7 Franky-99

Franky-99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 01:17 PM

Jeez - This is even worse, I can't turn the desktop on, the green light appears, and the system hangs, if i try to switch the computer off by holding down the power button, it won't turn off, I have to turn it off from the mains.

Just tried turning on again, this time it hanged for about 1 minute, and then decided to power up!

I must admit I don't feel too confident about opening up the pc, but all I do is remove the case, clean any dust carefully and case back on?

UPDATE: have opened case, wasnt much dust, cleaned it carefull, but still the system won't boot up, just hangs after I press the power button and green light shows.

Sounds like something is spinning (hard drives?)

Whatever happens, I have 30 gig of photos I need to get too and back up on an external hard drive, as if this computer is screwed, we have a spare laptop that can replace it.

Edited by Franky-99, 04 April 2008 - 02:02 PM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:06 AM

IMO the first priority here should be recovery of your photos. If it's the hard drive, then this is imperative. If it's not the hard drive, then it can probably wait. Finally, messing with a failing hard drive decreases the chance of recovering your data.

A hard drive diagnostic would seem to be in order, but since you've only got a laptop, I'd have to suggest using something like this tool: http://www.cooldrives.com/saandidehadr1.html (I use this one at home, and convinced my workplace to buy a couple for us).

This will allow you to slave the hard drive to the laptop. Since the photo's are a priority, if the drive is recognized on the laptop, immediately copy the photos over to the laptop. Make sure the laptop has enough room for this - if not, you'll have to connect an external drive to another USB port on the laptop and do the transfer to it. The point here is to make the transfer the first time that you connect (less time for a dying hard drive to die).

Once that's done, use this free utility to check the health of the hard drive: http://www.hdtune.com/download.html This is a generic hard drive tester, so it'll give you an idea of the condition of the drive (but that doesn't mean that the drive is 100% good IMO).

Post back with any difficulties that you may have in connecting/transferring the data - or when you're ready to start troubleshooting the desktop.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Franky-99

Franky-99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:30 AM

Thanks for the info, I am going to take a look at that item, as I have been meaning to buy an adaptor, which allowed me to connect laptops to desktop hard drives, will come in useful.

I have managed to get hold of a tech guy, who is a friend of a friend, and he will be here on Wednesday, I know he builds computers so pretty sure he can find out where the problem lies.

Just to say, the fans are working, doesn't seem to be any over heating, no dust, and ram hasn't come loose.

I do find this strange that the problems occurred 24 hours after i installed a HP printer, AND a usb hub felt jammed, and took some force to remove from the rear of the pc - maybe that knocked something inside and came loose? but i managed to reformat so that rules out software.

Anyhow, cheers for all your help so far, and I will post back to let you know what the actual problem was.

Edited by Franky-99, 05 April 2008 - 09:31 AM.

#10 Franky-99

Franky-99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2008 - 06:36 AM

Just in case anyone was interested, it was the motherboard, it had gone, so the tech guy is waiting for a new one to arrive and replacing it for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users