Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformat C Drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Franky-99

Franky-99

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:29 PM

This isn't your usual reformat windows question, as I have reformatted windows many a time, but I have never reformatted windows on a computer which already has partition drives, in my case I have C, D, E, X, Y, Z.

When I delete C and then install windows fresh, is there any danger of me formatting over the other partitions by mistake, as I can't afford for that to happen.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 05:58 PM

It's always a good idea to back up and have critical data on more than one drive or media?

I have been formating the C/system partition for several years from the windows boot cd's but once I did delete the wrong data drive partition by mistake(120 gigs worth on a 160 gig pata drive)

It's best to make sure you know the sizes and labels first, go slow, I learned to disconnect all other hard drives also.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,576 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:41 PM

I would add that it might make a difference as to whether you have an OEM version of XP or not.

I have all OEM versions and I'm pretty sure that...if it sees other partitions, the installed partition will be given the next ascending letter number, rather than C:.

Louis

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:06 PM

I never did completely run that C drive thing down, I know some older motherboards with a pata and a sata hard drive will default to install on the pata drive first even if sata is set to boot first

If I don't get windows to install on C then I know I have done something wrong
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 bibh55

bibh55

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 05 April 2008 - 04:58 AM

When I delete C and then install windows fresh, is there any danger of me formatting over the other partitions by mistake, as I can't afford for that to happen.

Thanks

Of course there is a chance that you format other partitions by mistake if you use the installer program incorrectly. The Windows installer is by default greedy, and you will have to tell it exactly what you want.

I have replaced a C partition (while also having D,E F etc.) countless times without any drive mapping problems. After all, if you have no other operating system, and delete/format partition C, and Windows is (was) on C, what is going to remap the other partitions ?

Just backup your existing C drive. If you feel shaky, backup the lot.

Reboot to a standalone partition manager.
Have a good look.
Delete the C partition.

Reboot to the Windows installer CD.
And tell it to install Windows in the empty partition.
In this way you get around problems that the Windows installer refuses to install on an existing partition with a Windows operation system on it, or gives you a hard time if you try.

Note that if you have programs installed on partitions other than C, they (mostly) will have to be installed again as the registry no longer knows they are there. Your Application Data stuff will be gone too.

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users