Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hosts File Trouble

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kdavidk

kdavidk

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

Hi,

I accidentally set wordpad to be the standard program to always open the hosts file on my computer and now can not reset it to the backup logo it originally had and since then Internet explorer web pages do not load, I can't do anything on the net.

Really need to resolve this asap.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

Go to Start...Run...and type in "control folders" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Click on the File Types tab, then scroll down to the entry for the Hosts file
Left click on it once, then click the Advanced button
Left click on "Open", then click on Remove.
Click on OK to save the changes and exit the dialog
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kdavidk

kdavidk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:50 AM

Ok, well i thought that by ticking the "always open with wordpad" that was the problem...but my router was just plugged out. I was just paranoid.
Sorry

Anyways, it's all fine now.

Thanks alot!

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

my router was just plugged out

I've never heard that expression before. It makes sense, though; if something can be plugged in the opposite should be plugged out! :thumbsup:

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 04 April 2008 - 06:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users