Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is This ".url" File Extension That I Get

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 richie78

richie78

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

I have just noticed over the last month, or so, that whenever I want to download and save a file attachment from my Netzero email program, that the file has a ".url" type extension added to it, and saved as that type. After saving such a file to my hard disk, I cannot then open the file to get at the information. Instead I get a pop-up window error that says, "This Internet Shortcut cannot be opened because failed to run."

I never knowingly intended to save a "Internet Shortcut", what ever that is, nor did I anticipate that I would not be able to access the information that I thought that I had just saved. This is very disturbing to me that I would loose my informtion , and have no apparent warning or explanation that I would. Especially so when I have tried to save photographic images of my family.

A few times I successfully saved such downloaded images by first deleting the ".url" type extension from the file name before completing the save. But this is a cumbersome task.

Can anyone explain what this ".url" extension is, what it does, and why it is automatically attached to any filename that is downloaded and saved to the local computer? What can be done, if anything, to restore the downloading process to prevent the ".url" extension from being attached to a file name? What work around solutions might you have?

richie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

Hello, .url is an internet link. Basicly, it opens your web browser, and goes to the page indicated. IT sounds liike netzero is broken in some way. Does it work if you go to web based email instead of their email program?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#3 richie78

richie78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 04:36 PM

Hello, .url is an internet link. Basicly, it opens your web browser, and goes to the page indicated. IT sounds liike netzero is broken in some way. Does it work if you go to web based email instead of their email program?

Billy3

I don't know the answer to that. Don't have any other email program that I use.

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 06 April 2008 - 07:45 AM

As Billy says a file with a url extension is an internet short-cut.

If you look at all your files in your web browser favourites these are all url files but Windows masks the file extension so it can't mistakenly get changed. Just the same as your short-cuts on your desktop they are either lnk or the older pif extensions and you can't see those. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users