Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Windows Xp Pro Please

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dennar

Dennar

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:08 PM

I have windows xp home and would like to upgrade to Pro, can someone tell me how to do this and will I lose all data and programs on my pc by doing the upgrade?

I dont want to buy the progam upgrade without knowing how to do it.

Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:21 PM

You would have to purchase an upgrade copy of XP Pro. Then insert the CD into your drive and follow the directions to upgrade. It's a simple procedure and usually is fairly painless.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Dennar

Dennar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:12 PM

But do I lose data on hard drive by upgrading?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:34 PM

Not if you choose the upgrade option. Make sure that you launch the program from within Windows - DO NOT boot from the CD. Then choose upgrade and everything should be fine.

Is there a particular reason that you want to upgrade? There's not much on XPPro that can't be done on XPHome, and quite a bit of the differences can be overcome with freeware programs. Here's a link that compares the versions: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/how.../choosing2.mspx

Upgrading is not, IMO, a good thing. In short, when you upgrade you stand the chance of importing problems from the old installation to the new installation (and those problems may not have been evident in the old installation). The other reason for this is that too many people have reported serious problems with upgrading to Windows XP. That being said, the upgrade from XPHome to XPPro should be smoother as you're not changing operating system significantly.

Should you opt to do a clean install, you'd have to backup your data first, then boot from the XP upgrade CD. It'll search your hard drive for a qualifying product (your XPHome) and then will allow you to wipe the drive and start over fresh. The benefit to this is that you've got a brand spanking new installation of the operating system on the computer - rather than the cobbled together stuff that results from an upgrade.

Oh, BTW, did I tell you I don't like upgrades? :thumbsup: (just kidding!)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Dennar

Dennar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:40 PM

the Network my company uses requires XPPro, I have to upgrade to use my sys with theirs, cheap company does nto supply computers

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:47 AM

I've encountered this - it's an attempt to comply with the EULA for the OS's - XPHome isn't allowed to connect to more than 5 other computers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users