Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hi, Fed Up Of "blue Screen Of Death", Inability To Load Recovery Disk, Numerous Trojans And Malaware Found And Deleted Despite Av And Pyware Progs...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 selassie59

selassie59

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:59 PM

Hi guys, just popped by to say haello as I may be posting lots soon. I will try not to rave but moving to Apple or Linux is getting more and more attractive day by day. Microsoft and Windows of whichever variant sucks!

Suffice to say that I cannot log on to my PC as the administrator I once was, I have to use my partners or daughters log on. As soon as I enter my log in details, PC answers. shows my wallpaper screen and shuts down. Though I can find my files, I cannot access them from either account and if I try to open them from my family members accounts, same shut down. I will expand on this as much as I can later.

I gave up and tried to load from our Advent 3319 Recovery CD. Recovery screen loads and says "press R" to view recovery options but does not respond to command.

Finally, for now?, does anyone know if it is possible to totally erase HDD and reinstall vendors XP as the OEM? Online stuff says I cannot for example use partitioning software because of the way this PC is configured - however, I am sure I have come across one website which suggests that F-Disk can be used in certain circumstances

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

selassie59,

I have moved your topic to our XP forum. That is assuming that you have XP running. If not, please post back and I will move it to the correct area. The reason I moved it here was because you asked about reformatting and not killing your malware.

Someone will be with you shortly with an answer to your question.

Thanks,
rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:11 PM

Recovery instructions are towards the bottom of this page: http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/pc/3319.htm
The non-destructive recovery "should" let you get in to recover your documents/data - but this depends on what's causing the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 selassie59

selassie59
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:46 PM

Hi Guys. Wow, was it that long ago I posted this?? Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, despite giving various methods a described on this forum a try, nothing worked. I also tried The Techguys - aka PC WORLD - through their website and had zilch success, btw, I had already downloaded the Advent file referred to from http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/pc/3319.htm
and the motherboard manual with no joy.

I gave up and bought a new HDD, used the extra two update cds obtained from The techguys site with a replacement recovery cd just in case there had been a disk fault on the original. This was also a good move because the update cds already had the XP service pack 3 installed.

So in my opinion, unless you have a system OS that is not manufacturer installed, and unless you haven't been backing up your files - as we all do regularly of course??, then the easiest and by far the cheapest and less stressful option is to buy a new hard drive and take it from there.
Regards to all and good luck!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

If a new hard drive...solved your situation...then you had a hardware problem.

I don't know if that's how you or anyone else approached it...but I agree with you in asserting that buying a new hard drive will overcome a known hardware problem with a hard drive.

It won't solve much of anything else other than storage problems.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users