Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lsass.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:40 AM

Hello all,

I am running Autoruns to see what starts up at start-up and running all the programs through the startup list here on bleepin. Well I have come across "lsass.exe" now the database gives no real program for windows just a bunch of [trj]. On my Autoruns program its called Policy Agent and database has no record of that. But when I pull up the properties I get

lsass.exe
LSA Shell (Export Version)
C:\windows\system32

Now when I look this up I find a matich for "LSA Shell (Export Version)" but in the database its "LSASS.exe" is this relevant? Also is the database incomplete or there really is a "lsass.exe". If it is a [trj] then can I just delete this file or is there a way to remove it. Also I am running

Avast free edition
superantispy
spyterminator

and none of them picked it up.

Please Help,

swaMprUnner
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Juha

Juha

• Members
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:18 PM

lsass.exe:

is a system process of the Microsoft Windows security mechanisms. It specifically deals with local security and login policies. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

http://www.processlibrary.com/directory/files/lsass/

...is the Local Security Authentication Server. It verifies the validity of user logons to your PC/Server. It generates the process responsible for authenticating users for the Winlogon service...
Note: The lsass.exe file is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. In other cases, lsass.exe is a virus, spyware, trojan or worm!

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/lsass.exe.html

The file looks safe, so don't delete it... well at least before you get some more feedback.

#3 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 02:57 PM

Thank you very much,

swaMprUnner
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,329 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:36 PM

Is the file you have in one of these paths?

c:\windows\system32 or c:\winnt\system32

Is spelled exactly as this ,lsass.exe ,same punctuation,no caps?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users