Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up A Small Server Network

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dan deal

dan deal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:50 AM

I just had a small office server with Windows 2000 Server installed on it given to me. I would like to hook up the four computers at my home on these. We do some photo work, some music downloading and I do a fair amount of word processing and bookwork from home.

Any help would be apprciated. Right now I have a Satellite DSL provided and run everything through a hub that is wired throughout my house. I know I can hook up the server to this hub but am not sure how to do that then hook up the individual computers.

Any help or suggestions is welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rob7865

Rob7865

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 03:24 AM

Hi Dan

Do you know what version of Windows 2000 you have been given? (Standard, Enterprise, Small Buiness)??

Is this a clean install or has it been given to you "just as"? If it's not a clean install then there maybe still old domain information on the box from the previous owner.

The basic set up would be:
Fresh install of Win2k
Install Active Directory and promote the server to a Domain Controller (DCPROMO.exe)
Create User and Computer accounts once AD is installed.
Join Client PC's to newly created Domain.

Is the server Multihomed? (has more then 1 network card) If so, then I would connect your DSL modem to one of the NICs and then connected the other to the Hub / Switch. All Client PC's would then be patched into the Hub.
Run the Routing and Remote Access install on the server and configure.

I hope this makes some sense? Without fully knowing what your current setup / knowledge base is it's hard to give specific adivce.

Any probs post back

Rob

#3 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 05:26 PM

Adding computers to a domain is some thing that could not be taught via a forum but once you have it set up there is plenty of help to be found. Maybe you can get someone in to set it up and run through some easy steps to show you what it is all about. Here are a couple of links to get started.
http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/win2kgraph/
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...00/default.aspx
MCP
MSDST

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users