Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scandisk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 spadge

spadge

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:13 AM

I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to find or use scandisk? According to Mesh computers you can run a test on your hard drive( windows program?) to see if there are any bad sectors on your disk that might be causing problems. I would really appreciate it if someone could throw some light on this. Thank you. Spadge. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:11 AM

In My Computer, right click on your hard drive and select "Properties"
Then click on the Tools tab, and select "Check Now" for the error checking.

This will launch the graphical version of Check Disk - which isn't quite the same as Scan Disk - but it's all that XP has.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:29 AM

I'll just add that you should put check marks in both options presented...for the most thorough scan/recovery...when using the Graphical Version.

XP Chkdsk, Using the Graphical Version (My Computer) - http://www.updatexp.com/windows-xp-chkdsk.html

Louis

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:40 AM

Another option is to go to the web site of the manufacturer of the hard drive and download their diagnostic tool and run it to see what shape the drive is in.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 spadge

spadge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:53 AM

I would just like to thank all of you for your replies- this website is brilliant. Regarding the problem- I have done and completed all that you said to do (about an hour it took). How do I check the results?! All that it said was the volume is clean. Where do I get a good description of what was scanned and checked? Thanks again. Spadge. :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:20 PM

The results should show in the Event Viewer. As I recall, it'll be part of a winlogon information message - but this doesn't show in my XP Virtual Machine when I reboot it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:45 PM

This may help, What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Under the Application grouping: Click on the Source column to put all results alphabetically...then just browse the entries under "Winlogon" in the Source column. One of those will reflect the results of running chkdsk on the system.

Louis

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:53 PM

Hmmm....not to hijack this thread - but mine doesn't show the chkdsk I just ran - but it does show 2 previous one's with errors.
By chance does it only log the ones where something was fixed?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 02:55 PM

Hmmm...I always have something that needs to be tidied up :thumbsup:, so I don't ever have one where nothing is done, I imagine. To be honest, I never ever worried about the results, I just wanted the tool to do what it could to help me help myself in maintaining my systems.

Some more info on how it works/doesn't work: http://www.computing.net/windowsxp/wwwboar...rum/132863.html

Louis

#10 Lakaya

Lakaya

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:17 PM

I'm an old school fool. When I went to college for computers, DOS was considered a language and we had to learn it, then of course, we graduated up to windows 3.1 and thought "hey this is cool" now here we are in an xp world and folks go "3. who?" anyway to perform a traditional scandisk in windows xp you still have to get to the DOS root. yes its there, under the name "command prompt" and even better it has a scroller so when stuff leave the screen you can see what you missed. you want to click your start menu button, click "all programs" slide the mouse up to "accessories" and it will be in the list. or if you are like me, you will pin it to the start menu so you can access it from time to time. it will let you run chkdsk (read only)[[which will also self correct your registry and such]] after it is finished with that, type c:\dir and if you gained memory you will know it instantly.other commands are: vol, dir, tree (dont do that one with a really large hard drive) path, etc. a lot of times chkdsk is a good backup to scandisk. otherwise you have to access it before you get to windows. reboot...before windows load hit f8 or f10 or f12 depending on your computer's configuration, it will actually flash the correct one to hit right before it puts up the xp splash screen, then theres a list of options. anyway, i hope this helps. my old compter that had xp installed on it was originally a win 95 and becuz the dos shell can not actually be destroyed completely....still had Qbasic on it. loved that as there was this game called gorrilla i used to love to play, cant do that on this computer but its all good. if you dont know dos...dont play around in the command prompt screen too long, you dont want to mess up nothing.

Edited by Lakaya, 03 April 2008 - 09:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users