Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Counterfeit Software

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:56 AM

I did something wrong after formatting and installing Windows XP Professional on my Compaq. I used the disk that came with the pc, but now I get a message about counterfeit software and resolving the issue.

It is preventing me from installing Microsoft Office.

Does anyone have any idea on how I could have messed up the installation that badly? Any ideas on how to resolve the issue short of another format and install?

Thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 08:11 AM

Are you entering the correct product key for Office when prompted?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:08 AM

Yes, I enter the correct product key. I enter it, then recheck it to make sure it's correct before continuing.

I'm more interested in the problem with Windows XP Professional than the Office installation.

Do you have any idea why it would suddenly result in a counterfeit message when the original disk was used to install windows?

Thanks for all your help, by the way. :thumbsup:

Cass

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 10:39 AM

What is the exact message you received...and what circumstances surrounded receiving it?

Louis

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:39 PM

After you re-installed Windows XP did you then activate it?

How to activate Windows XP
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2008 - 07:35 AM

When the pc boots, before it finishes, a message appears that reads: You may be a victim of software counterfeiting. This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows validation." Then, another one appears that reads: This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows validation and you have not yet resolved the problem. This copy of Windows is no longer eligible to receive the full ... of upgrades and product support available from Microsoft. To protect your copy of Windows click Resolve Now." Below that message are two choices: Resolve Now and Resolve Later.

If I choose to resolve it now, I get a message that it will cost me money. I know it's the original disk for installing Windows XP Professional.

(The hard drive had to be formatted and have Windows installed due to a virus.)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 04 April 2008 - 09:43 AM

OK.

From the message that you received, I would have to guess that the license for that copy of XP which you tried to install...is reflected as either installed on another system or pirated.

To me, the easy way to resolve it is to do the telephonic activation thing. I've done it before, it takes a minimum amount of time, and the personnel have always been cooperative and friendly to me.

If that system did not come with XP Pro (but came with XP Home), the fact that it's a Compaq and you are trying to use the Compaq license for activation...may be the problem. I don't know, but it seems to me that attempting telephonic activation will get you better advise than I can render based on what you have stated.

There are situations where XP licenses are deemed fraudulent...and that conclusion is erroneous, see http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Y...G=Google+Search

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users