Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Slow To Start After Login

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Greenleeper

Greenleeper

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 12:29 AM

Hello, I have a desktop computer that is running Windows Vista. Hardware is the following:
AMD Athlon 64 x 2 Dual Core Proc. @ 2.00 GHz
2GB Memory
32 Bit OS
Software is Windows Vista Home Premium (I think I have SP1 installed. Not completely sure)
My computer has been starting like this for about 2 weeks now. When i start it up normally it will either give me a black screen or hang on the welcome screen (If it goes past the welcome screen I get a black screen). I have let it sit for over half an hour before I give up and restart it in safe mode(normally it only takes a couple minutes from bootup to the main windows screen). So far I have tried to restore it to an earlier time and I have tried to see if it was a problem in the startup registry and have deleted and restored the computer several times (to no avail). I have had the thought that it might be a virus but I can't run the antivirus in safe mode. Unfortunately tonight it seems to have made safe mode slower as well. (Not 100% sure but it sure is running a bit slower.)
If it is a virus is there anything I can download and run off a CD or DVD?
If that doesn't do it should I buy an external Hard Drive Case and run the antivirus program off of my laptop to check it?
If you have any other ideas on what it might be I would be happy to try them. Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:07 AM

Since this occurs after login, the most common cause is a corruption in your video drivers. Since you're able to boot into Safe Mode, it tends to confirm this (although it could be other drivers).

So, I'd suggest uninstalling your video drivers and then install the latest version of the driver available from the manufacturer of the video chipset (not the Computer). To find this information out, go to Start and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Then click the + sign next to the Display Adapter. The text there should tell you who made the video card chipset (nVidia, ATI, Intel, etc). If you're unsure, post back with the information and we'll help you to locate the driver.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Greenleeper

Greenleeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 09:25 PM

Sorry I have been slow to respond.
I have tried your suggestion. I now don't have a Driver for my graphics card. (I can fix that later and I don't think that was it. See error in bold text.) But it is still slow to start windows. When I am in either regular windows or safe mode if I click on something it takes about 5 min for it to start up. I have an error that comes up when I start in Regular Windows and hit CTL + ALT + DEL. It reads "Startup has failed to create the security options dialog. Failure - security options". Does this have to do with windows Vista or is it a hardware issue and what part of hardware could it be (HDD or RAM)?
Safe mode is still easier to get into but not as slow as getting into windows. Is there a bootlog file I can search for in safe mode (after booting up in regular windows) to see what the last thing it was trying to load before I give up and restart it back in safe mode?
Thanks

Edited by Greenleeper, 05 April 2008 - 09:29 PM.

#4 Greenleeper

Greenleeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2008 - 10:08 PM

Now I have another problem on top of this one. My computer is trying to repair itself since I don't have a VGA driver. (The one I found was one that the computer didn't like. The graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 6150LE and I downloaded the ForceWare Release 109 which according to the Nvidia website it is supported for my graphics card. If it doesn't do anything for half an hour and won't let me restore it to any point what should I do?
I apologize for putting this in this thread since I know it is a hardware issue but I thought it was somewhat related to my issue.
Thanks again.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 06:42 AM

With the security error, there could be many other things wrong with the system. Here's a link to the latest ForceWare driver for the nVidia 6150 LE on 32 bit Vista (ver 169): http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_169.25_whql.html

A search of the web for your security issue reveals a couple of possibilities:
- malware
- failing hard drive
- conflict with some security software

Typically with a slow boot, I'd first suggest testing the hard drive with a free diagnostic utility available from the manufacturer of the hard drive.
But, if it is a failing hard drive the first priority should probably be backing up your data. Once the drive dies it becomes pretty expensive to recover stuff from it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Greenleeper

Greenleeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2008 - 11:59 PM

Here is what I have found out so far from your suggestions.
Installed the video driver. ( I goofed before when I didn't realize it was a .exe file)
I can't run my spyware/malware software, or the Hard drive diagnostic tool because it has to be in normal mode of Windows. I have so far downloaded RegCure to see if I have a lot of issues on my computer. (It tells me there are a lot (>500)) But I will have to wait until the 10th to see if it gets into paypal before I can actually buy the software.
I have recieved another error. It is below:
Stop C000021a {fatal system error}
The windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000006 (0x75613d3b 0x00c3f790)
The system has been shut down

Collecting Data for crash dump
Initializing disk for crash dump
Beginning dump of physical memory
Dumping physical memory to disk 100
Physical memory dump complete
Contact system admin or tech support group for further assistance.

To combat the error above I downloaded RegCure and I hope that can take care of it.
Tomorrow I am going to try to start my computer in regular mode and see if I can run the diagnostic tool from the Hard Drive manufacturer and see if I can scan my computer for malware and such.
I don't think it is a conflict with the security software since I have tried to restore my computer to a previous time (before it went crazy) and it still didn't work.
Do you think this is the best thing I should do? Are there any more options that I can try in safe mode that might do the trick?

Edited by Greenleeper, 07 April 2008 - 12:02 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 06:00 AM

Don't pay for programs to fix this - there are free tools available that will do the same (or better) job fixing it.

Go to the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive and download a bootable diagnostic utility. That won't require that you boot into Windows (but rather from the bootable CD) to test the hard drive. Read the instructions carefully to make the disk bootable.

You can try this free, portable anti-virus (it'll work in Safe Mode from a flash drive): http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable

#8 Greenleeper

Greenleeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

Errors Galore! :huh:
I now have one of 3 errors showing up in Safe mode:
c000021a {Fatal System Error}

Then these 2 usually show up together on the same BSOD:
0x000000F4
Win32K.sys Address 905B8CD4 base at 90400000 Datestamp 46D4d163.

Then recently I got these 2 with a DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0x000000D1 (4 Parameters)
nvstor32.sys

I found the diagnostic tool for my hard drive but can't load it since (1) safe mode is pretty slow to respond and (2) the errors happen within the first 15 min of being in safe mode. (I am going to keep trying this though)
All I get in my searching online is that it is either the HDD or a bad install. Last thing that was installed was some windows updates. Tried to restore before these points but no help.
I haven't been able to find a bootable program from WD I have a WD2500JS that has been running fine for the last year or so. I am starting to think I need to do a restore on it. I haven't gotten this many BSOD since WIN95 or 98 1st Ed.

Edited by Greenleeper, 07 April 2008 - 09:50 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:01 AM

Use this link for the bootable diagnostics CD for Western Digital: http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?...=15&swid=30
There are instructions on that page on how to make a bootable CD.

#10 Greenleeper

Greenleeper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 April 2008 - 10:47 PM

I am using a borrowed version of spinrite on my HDD so I can see what is wrong with it. This will probably take a couple of days. I won't be putting any more messages on here until it is finished.

#11 fred333

fred333

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:20 AM

Well I hope everything works out for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users