Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying To Access Home Monitoring Camera From Browser

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dogmom623

dogmom623

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:19 PM

Hi everyone,

Specifically, I'm struggling with installing a Linksys Wireless-G Internet Home Monitoring Camera (WVC54GCA) within my wireless home network so that I can access it online using a web browser. I can see the video feed when I'm at home within my own wireless network, but when I am away from home and try to log in using the IP address, I get a message that the server cannot be found. Not being able to see the video stream from remote locations defeats the purpose of having the camera (I want to use it to monitor my dogs when I'm away).

I run a MacBook Pro with MacOS 10.5 (Leopard), and also capable of running WinXP SP2 via BootCamp. My wireless network uses a cable modem, connected to a Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Router (WNDR3300). I have tried connecting using IE, Firefox, and Safari, with no luck using any of them. Again, I can access the video stream at home - the camera itself is operating normally - it's the access via web browser that is a problem.

I've spent hours trying to figure out the problem - uninstalling and reinstalling software, resetting IP addresses, etc, with no luck. Before I break down and hire someone to come do it for me, I'm hoping that someone here can guide me through the troubleshooting and help me resolve the issue.

Thank you!

Linda in Michigan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:09 PM

My first thoughts would be with settings in your firewall or security settings is the network
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
Has some good tutorials
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 01:19 PM

From this link: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...d=5165686883B01

About mid-way down the 3rd paragraph:

If you want the video to be visible from outside your home network, you can open an appropriate port on the Router, and then create password protected accounts to manage access to the camera, or leave it wide open for the world to see.

This means that you'll have to forward the appropriate ports according to the User's Manual - unfortunately, I couldn't get the download to finish from their page - but you may have more luck (it's on the right side of the page in the link that I posted above).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users