Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Services.exe On My Startup Is This Malware?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

Hello all,

I recently downloaded Autoruns, a tool I found in the tutorials. It allows me to see what is starting on my computer when it starts up. Well I ran

Avast virus
Superantispy
spy terminator

and I got alot of things out. But I still figured I go through and run the program names through the startup list database on bleepin and see what I could shut down to make my pc run better. WELL I came across a program called services.exe and when I looked it up it gave me a bunch of trojans and worms and all kind of defs for them. Now when I looked at all of them to try and figure out if it was one of them or not. I kept on seeing "This infection should not be confused with the legitimate C:\Windows\System32\services.exe". Now when I look at the name of it on autoruns it is called eventlog and it has a path of C:\Windows\System32\services.exe so is that is the real one RIGHT????

Also I was a little confused because when you use the sartuplist database it rates it for you, whether or not it is needed or not at startup. Well with this issue it just gives you a bunch of trojans and doesnt even tell you of its a real file and the rating. Could someone please tell me if its a trojan or not and if not if its needed at startup.

THank you,

swaMprUnner
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Fasih

Fasih

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:54 PM

Hmm, im not too sure, but i searched and got this:

services.exe is a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System and manages the operation of starting and stopping services. This process also deals with the automatic starting of services during the computers boot-up and the stopping of services during shut-down. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

from: http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...brary/services/

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:01 PM

The legitimate copy of this file lives in the C:\Windows\System32 directory. If it's in the C:\Windows directory then it's most likely malware. You can always double check by uploading the file to Jotti for analysis.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 swaMprUnner

swaMprUnner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:14 AM

THank you all!
swaMprUnner
I would rather be a little overkill with my computer. Than to have my computer be killed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users