Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Thats All But Dead Need Help Asap

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hackjob

hackjob

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

okay a friend has an hp laptop running XP home a virus got past symantec and infected symantec as well there by killing his anti virus its blocked task manager and has blocked the ability to uninstall programs lost internet functionality both hardwire and wireless ive also tried wiping the drive by installing a new copy of windows at boot but apparently the hardrive disappears yet while in the BIOS the hd passes the hd tests im no novice to computer as in building them and upgrading among other thigs but this one has me stumped usually a reinstall of windows fixes most things but not this time also on a side not i used avast to do a secondary scan and a boot scan so far nothing thats common practice has worked im preparing to do a hijackthis log when asked

help would be apreciated otherwise i may have to take the drive out and use the sata interface to wipe it through my desktop like its a storage drive

Edited by Orange Blossom, 02 April 2008 - 05:27 PM.
Moved to more appropriate forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hackjob

hackjob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:26 PM

USB has been disabled cant get hijackthis on the machine thanks for being her for support but it looks ill have to tear the machine apart to get to the hardrive
unless anyone has another suggestion

#3 David D

David D

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2008 - 08:07 PM

Can you boot into safe mode? If you can, you could try to clean the registry out to prevent the virus from starting.

#4 hackjob

hackjob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:50 AM

yea ive tried safe mode its pretty much integrated itself into the os and of course since the hardrive wont register i cant reinstall windows

i do believe this is why i hate laptops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users