Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Advice On Choosing Correct Memory Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 daniel crisp

daniel crisp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:26 PM

I have a HP Pavilion 514n. The RAM is currently 256. I would like to inprove the speed and performance of this computer. The HP website says I can install a max of 1GB(2x256). Several suppliers suggest I can install 1 GB of memory (2x512), and others 2GB (2x1GB)of memory . Whatever the correct amount is, I have no idea what the differences are between various memory cards.

Can anyone supply advice?

Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 S133P3R

S133P3R

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:54 PM

There is a great site that I use to find the correct upgrades for memory. I would say your allowed up to a 1 GB if that is what the manufacturer told you. When looking for new memory all you need to know is certain parts of the Chip description you would be looking for a 1gb version of 266MHz DDR266 PC2100, 184p DIMM, 2.5v if you look for that you should be fine. Also just so you know the reason people may be saying 2 gb is because you may be able to fit 2 gb in your PC but that doesn't necessarily mean your computer will recognize it as anything more then 1 gb.

Your Computer:
http://www.memorystock.com/memory/HewlettP...vilion514n.html

I wouldn't buy from them but they are great at giving you the correct info. You can also have them scan your current computer from the home page to be sure you are looking for the right stuff.

Edited by S133P3R, 02 April 2008 - 12:56 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,818 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:25 PM

http://www99.shopping.com/xPF-Hewlett-Pack...-514n-DA191AABA

Above are specs for the system. Max of 1GB total, PC3200 is the identifier for the type of memory you need...but you can also use PC2700, shown in the link, http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp...Pavilion%20514n . Link is just for comparative purposes.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users